CH-R sudden engine failure

GLFord

Our 2-year old CH-R had a sudden engine failure going up a hill. Afterwards engine started again. It is petrol 2WD. There have been suggestions of wrong or contaminated fuel but we have only ever used 95 or 98 fuel. Dealer says it was a computer glitch. Has anyone else experienced this?

Engine lost power and stopped running. Been now told it's due to carbon build up on the plugs and cylinders from fuel despite only using 95 or 98. Has 60,000 km on the clock. Shouldn't do this so could expect recall. 

Edited by GLFord

• 3 months later...

Don't imagine a recall is on the cards. There are a number of more likely alternatives. carbon buildup could be symptomatic of a number of situations. Notably a rich fuel mixture. A major cause of this is a clogged air filter or intake. Also excessive stop/start driving in traffic or prolonged idling. Could also be caused by a faulty oxygen sensor or similar. Also, don't assume that "higher" grade fuel such as 95/98 is immune from contamination. Did a Toyota dealer check it out?

Edited by KOBA_Guy

• 3 years later...
On 10/24/2019 at 1:46 PM, GLFord said:

Engine lost power and stopped running. Been now told it's due to carbon build up on the plugs and cylinders from fuel despite only using 95 or 98. Has 60,000 km on the clock. Shouldn't do this so could expect recall. 

Hi- I have had this exact same issue with my 2019 CHR petrol 2WD. I have had my engine cleaned a total of 5 times in a period of twelve months - basically every 5000kms. There is undoubtedly an issue with the engine design. My car started having the problem at around 63,000km. Toyota have advised now that the car needs a full engine clean as part of his maintenance on an annual basis - pretty sure if buyers were told this they would have asked why and not bought the vehicle.

• 3 months later...

Carbon buildup on valves & pistons is most likely a symptom of the direct injection layout/design. You would lessen the buildup if you did more highway kms, otherwise regular upper engine cleaning is required to maintain it. Really surprised Toyota went with this knowing full well DI is a big issue, hence them moving to D4S in some of their cars.

Moral of the story - NEVER buy a direct injection only motor car unless you plan on regular proper maintenance which includes lots of hwy kms.

Edited by ZZT86
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I drive my vehicle regularly on highways - travel along the Ring road heading to work 2-3 times a week and depending on traffic sit at between 80-100km per hour.  There is undoubtedly a problem in the design of the CHR motor. My toyota dealership has confirmed they regularly have CHR's in with carbon build up issue.

I have stressed to Toyota over and over again that this is a safety issue- my car simply shuts down in the middle of the road and if I can't get to the side I am at risk of being hit by another car. I have already had one very minor incident with someone just clipping my car.

Toyota have recently pulled the head off my car and completed a full clean and machined the head of my engine- they have also agreed to provide 2yrs of free servicing for my vehicle whilst they 'monitor' the issue. How is this not them admitting fault in the design. This is not satisfactory for me due to the safety concerns and risks this issue provides. I feel sorry for other CHR owners who don't start having this carbon build up issue until after their warranties expire and they are left to pay all associated costs with the repairs for what is clearly a faulty design.

• Sad 1

I feel your pain, it's a real shame that to all CHR owners. Have you tried the ACCC for a warranty claim based on a major failure even out of warranty ?

The other suggestion is to change the oil far more often, like every 3,750-5,000 kms, especially if the engine gets less than 30min non-stop hwy/fwy driving at 80km/h or more at least once a week and/or does lots of short driving stints which causes the oil to quickly become diluted/dirty. These nasty oil vapours eventually finds its way to the air intake runners, tops of valves & piston rings caking everything up essentially ruining it's smooth operation - a bit like having cholesterol in your vains.

This clip explains it well . . . . https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/can-additives-clean-my-direct-injection-engine?rq=direct injection

• Like 1