Rav4 2003 ECU & Transmission fault/replacement

Shagsy

Hi all, first post for me and not a pleasent one.

I have a 2003 2.2ltr Rav4 which has been with a Toyota dealer for the past 2 weeks with an idle/stall/acceleration problem and after being told it was first contaminated fuel, then ECU, then VVT, then a faulty coil and have now been informed that the car is running perfect besides a transmission problem in struggling to select the right gear! Have been told it needs to be replaced.

I've read the forums regarding this problem that has happened to quite a few members and now I'm in the same boat, wonder what advice they have in going about repairing it and also getting financial assistance from Toyota as we purchased the car privately four months ago to be used as a family car and are now looking down the barrel at an extra cost beyond us :(

I have spoken to toyota over the phone and they simply said they will not assist me due to no warranty but I argued that not too many people have warranty on a six year old car and it's unacceptable for this problem to even occur.

Sorry to bring up and old topic, but my stomach has dropped over this outrages situation for all affected!

Any advice etc is appreciated?

Thanks a million, Shagsy.

Ps. Did a group ever take this problem to Consumer Affairs as some had discussed, if so, what was the outcome?

Hey, Blind Kid Seeks,

Approx 108,000ks

I'm the second owner with the previous lady owner purchasing from new and having no troubles.

When I first experienced this problem I drove for no more than 15ks with only the stall/idle problem so I really don't understand how the transmission can be stuffed, with a new ECU in it?!

I just spoke to the dealer and they say they've fixed the idle/stall problem but the gears are now dropping back and forth, my understanding is the ECU should have fixed this if the transmission hadn't blown up (wouldn't the gears slip etc rather than change erratically? Hence, ECU should fix the gears). The transmisson only freaked out a couple of times when the problem first happened, it was really just the idel/stall and problem accelerating.

Hope I'm making sense :)

Cheers.