If i wanted to mod my V6 :)

CrankN

Have an '08 SX6 V6 and is a great car.

My family used to own a XR6 Falcon and i went a little over board with performance mods.... but it was an awesome car to drive ;)

Now i wouldn't mess with the RAV but have always wondered "what could be done to make the V6 sing?"

I know someone will say "chip it" which is probably true, but i want to know is there actually a chip available?

Airbox and exhaust is always a common performance mod for cars....are these available?

I'm sure a blower would make it move....is there enough room?

These are the sort of question i'm want answers too.

I know the Rav is a 'family car' etc. and 99% of you would never change how she goes but for interest sake i'm looking for someone that has come across some info that might bring out the mod freak in some of you :) even if we are only talking about it.

Anyone heard of opening up the V6?

Who's a Toyota mechanic here that know's it's limitations?

There are other Toyotas that share this motor. What's been done to them?

:)

I guessing you are referring to the 2GR-FE. If you have a look over on the Aurion boards, or the Gen 6 Camry boards over at Toyota Nation, you will find more discussion about the topic.

To answer your question in general, there is currently no aftermarket 'performance chips' for these engines, and there aren't that many gains you can obtain from this engine without spending a fair bit of money, and even then it may not work out to be economical. The main limiting factor to these engines comes down to the ECU. Because these engines are designed to have reduced emissions and greater efficiency, the ECU seems to adjust itself around basic performance mods. If you were wanting to squeeze any extra power out of it, your best bet would be with a full custom exhaust which includes headers. For the price you pay for something like this though, you may not obtain anything respectable.

My SX-6 could benefit from cold-air intake and headers with a stainless twin system...

but the cost/benefit analysis would come in too heavy on the cost side and a little light on the benefit side

having a 4WD with the power-to weight ratio of my RAV is a real bonus. I'm not sure I need the extra power

I'd probly be better off looking at mods that might lower the fuel consumption a little

but then again.....

• 2 weeks later...

again without spending big bucks there isn't a great deal that can be done...

there is a charcoal filter within the rav's airbox which you can remove to free up some top end

not too sure how noticeable a gain you will get but thats where you can start

the yanks claim that this produces better throttle response and that the filter is highly restrictive

apart from that the other restrictions would be located around the pre-cats in the exhaust system

there is a charcoal filter within the rav's airbox which you can remove to free up some top end

the yanks claim that this produces better throttle response and that the filter is highly restrictive

apart from that the other restrictions would be located around the pre-cats in the exhaust system

Those yanks really fall for the placebo effect really easily. Removing the intake resonators and the carbon filter in the top of the air box provides nearly nil benefit. The only thing you achieve from removing them is induction sound. The intake is designed pretty well on the Kluger as it is and the stock nonwoven full-fabric filter is not that restrictive.

The main restrictions that should be removed to gain a little power are all on the exhaust end. It will be big bucks though to get headers and a full system for a fairly minimal gain.

Those yanks really fall for the placebo effect really easily. Removing the intake resonators and the carbon filter in the top of the air box provides nearly nil benefit. The only thing you achieve from removing them is induction sound. The intake is designed pretty well on the Kluger as it is and the stock nonwoven full-fabric filter is not that restrictive.

The main restrictions that should be removed to gain a little power are all on the exhaust end. It will be big bucks though to get headers and a full system for a fairly minimal gain.

the aus spec kluger doesn't seem to have this charcoal filter that sits in the airbox like the yank spec highlander

aus and yank spec rav have this filter in addition to the white air filter

Yeah i have read about the 3 cats on the exhaust. I wondered why there has to be 3? Surely emmisions can be handled by one.

The cats on each cylinder bank are the main ones that does the work. By having one on each bank close as possible to the exhaust ports, they can heat up quicker and do their job. The third one located down the line is there just so they can achieve Euro IV emission standards.