MODIFYING HEADLIGHTS

• 1 year later...

digging up an old thread! just wondering.... how do they mount? do the projectors screw into your reflector or do they simply mount into the original bulb socket somehow? and anyone got any recommendations for which ones to buy off ebay? (h4 for the jap zze headlights)

the ebay kits mount to the existing bulb hole but this only applies to H4 bulbs (snesi_su jdm rolla uses h4). your h7 lights might need some trimming. make sure they are RHD (a WA member had successfully converted it to rhd though). but i wouldn't recommend them because there are much better alternatives now available that also mount in the h4 bulb hole, RHD, a choice of using oem-spec D2S hid bulbs and has a beam output comparable to oem projectors. search morimoto mini projectors

the ebay kits mount to the existing bulb hole but this only applies to H4 bulbs (snesi_su jdm rolla uses h4). your h7 lights might need some trimming. make sure they are RHD (a WA member had successfully converted it to rhd though). but i wouldn't recommend them because there are much better alternatives now available that also mount in the h4 bulb hole, RHD, a choice of using oem-spec D2S hid bulbs and has a beam output comparable to oem projectors. search morimoto mini projectors

I have h4 jdm headlights i am modifying so the h4 fitment is not a worry, would something like this work ok? > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310140443813&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have h4 jdm headlights i am modifying so the h4 fitment is not a worry, would something like this work ok? > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310140443813&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

those ebay projectors look like the G3 projectors which are better than the original G1. make sure they come in RHD.

you got a nice car with quality parts i would want the headlight performance to match it :) hence the recommendation of morimoto mini projectors as a minimum

ok i dont know much about projectors, so basically,bi xenon is what i want so i have high and low beam. as far as choosing what ones to buy i wouldnt mind a halo ring around it, if i buy a morimoto one that doesnt have a halo ring around it how do i go about installing one? and whats the go with different shrouds they are all talking about haha? NooB

these are a few i have been looking at, what would you go for?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRS-FX-R-BIXENON-PROJECTORS-FXR-CLEAR-LENS-HID-D2S-RHD-/290431444602?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item439f10267a

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MINI-BIXENON-HID-H1-PROJECTORS-H1-BULB-LHD-RHD-SHROUD-/190548591226?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5d94c27a

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MORIMOTO-MINI-BIXENON-PROJECTORS-GATLING-SHROUDS-H1-HID-/230469719501?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35a910d5cd

i had the FX-r for my second retrofit and theyre impressive but never driven with them :( they have to be mounted by screws etc. so alignment is tricky. the morimoto projectors are like the ebay "screw on bulb hole type" with good performance. the FX-r is clearly the best performer but if i did another retrofit i would try the morimoto just for convenience :) also the morimoto small size will give you more room to play in the small corolla headlights. the FX-r's are big.

shrouds are the chrome trim that covers the projector body. this is what makes a retrofit look oem if done right. there are many choices of shrouds with are short or long, circular or odd shaped, wide or narrow. most are replicas of oem headlight designs. for the preface jdm rolla with the half circle shallow reflector, have a look at the E46-r shrouds they would cover most of the reflector and is relatively shallow. there are nicer shrouds available so check them out.

you have to custom add the halos to the shroud. ccfls will do the trick but have to deal with ballasts/inverters, leds will work but not as bright. since the jdm parker light is in a separate chamber, you don't really need halos to fulfil perking light duties.

before doing anything make sure you do a lot of research on it. especially on the spatial aspects, that will help you choose parts most likely to fit your headlights for a successful retrofit.

Hi chicken.

Just wondering, would the morimoto mini's work well for the facelift corollas? and also which other projectors would you recommend for the FL corollas besides the morimoto?

thanks mate

so these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MORIMOTO-MINI-BIXENON-PROJECTORS-GATLING-SHROUDS-H1-HID-/230469719501?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35a910d5cd

come with 2x: Mini Gatling or Mini Graphite Shrouds, whats the graphite shroud? is it that blackish/clear looking shroud that they picture?

would it look stupid with just the gattling shroud on it do u reckon?