Car Service and Car Tune Up?

Spare18

Hi,

I just had my car serviced few weeks ago and one of my friends asked me... " have you had your car tuned up as well?"

I was confused if car service and tuning up a car are the same. If they are not, what's the difference? Any idea would be a big help. Thanks.

Edited by Spare18

A Service and Tune-up are two completely different things. A Service is where the engine oil and oil filter are changed. The other fluids are checked for leaks or top up such as auto transmission oil(if applicable), power steering oil, coolant, washer fluid, a safety check over the vehicle, brakes, maybe tyre rotation, drive belts that are easily seen and lights. A Tune-up, is where the spark plugs are changed, fuel filter if necessary, air filter. The car is plugged into a diagnostic machine to check that the timing, fuel mixture and fuel injectors are working correctly and other things are working within the manufacturers specifications.

On a V6 engine, a Tune-up is more expensive thena 4 cyclinder, as the 3 rear spark plugs are hard to get to and require some stuff to be removed, which takes time. Check your service book or manual and it will show the mileage as to when these things should be done.

the tuning is usually involved as part of the service too. "service" would be oils, filters, brakes (mechanical stuff). "tuning" would include the spark plugs, leads (if your car runs with leads), ecu flashing, ecu tuning (electrical stuff).

edit: haha ozz beat me to it ;)

I'd actually argue that fuel filter and spark plugs are part of the "service" as they are consumable items that need to be replaced at regular intervals or as needed (same thing goes for brake pads/rotors etc)

If I had to break it down, it would be thus:

1) Service = check and replace consumables if required (oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, leads, distributor cap, brake pads) = things which keep the car running

2) Tune-up = Diagnostics check, adjustment of timing, injector clean/flush, ECU flash/reset etc = things which will make the car run "better", but usually no physical replacement of parts (unless something has failed).

Or to put it another way, things which get "used up" are replaced in a service, things which "degrade" get "refreshed" at a tune-up.

your local toyota dealer should be able to do that for you. i think your nearest toyota is peter davey toyota in werribee. otherwise you can book for a tune up at any auto service centre if you prefer that.

• 13 years later...

Hi,

I have a Toyota Corolla 2 (Model - E-EL41 -Manufacture year 1994) . When the car is start the engine idle is not maintaining. After 10 , 15 minuets Its became normal when apply more gas. Can I know the is reason for that?

Check the spark plugs. Also consider cleaning the throttle body and idle air control [IAC] valve.

Search YouTube for the relevant videos for your vehicle on how to do this.

I think this is normal, auto choke engaged when starting and comes off after the engine warms up. Giving gas resets the choke.

Herb