Advice on 1976 MS85 Crown

Lull

Wondering if anyone has some good advice on what I should do with my Crown. I've only had it a few months and the head gasket went, I've been quoted $900 to replace it and I am pretty sure it went due to not being particularly smart on icy mornings and the such but in the high risk that it is because the heads are warped or cracked I made some enquiries on engine prices.

A re-conditioned engine is out of the question but a 2nd hand jap import can be put in for around $1500, I am almost leaning toward doing this as the idea of paying $900 for a new gasket only to find there is more to it isn't fun.

At the same time though, I know very little about the reliability of a 2nd hand import engine.

This car is meant to be my daily drive and right now I am on a tight budget but know I will be for a long time in the future too so even if it costs a little more now I just want to find the smartest most economic way to do it, any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
Wondering if anyone has some good advice on what I should do with my Crown. I've only had it a few months and the head gasket went, I've been quoted $900 to replace it and I am pretty sure it went due to not being particularly smart on icy mornings and the such but in the high risk that it is because the heads are warped or cracked I made some enquiries on engine prices.

A re-conditioned engine is out of the question but a 2nd hand jap import can be put in for around $1500, I am almost leaning toward doing this as the idea of paying $900 for a new gasket only to find there is more to it isn't fun.

At the same time though, I know very little about the reliability of a 2nd hand import engine.

This car is meant to be my daily drive and right now I am on a tight budget but know I will be for a long time in the future too so even if it costs a little more now I just want to find the smartest most economic way to do it, any suggestions?

What is in it now 4M?? What import engines are you talking about, I dobt you could get a new old 4M, yeah 7m's 1J's and 2j's can be had for that kind of coin however there is alot of other coin associated with getting one of them running in the car.

I re did the head on x2 4m's (different cars) and had no other with the heads on those blocks. If done and done properly, with coolant you will be fine. 7M's have most of the head gasket issues casue of the boost added to the equation.

where are you located and do you have an early or late 4M as I think I may still have a reco'd head with low km's around

• 2 months later...

What is in it now 4M?? What import engines are you talking about, I dobt you could get a new old 4M, yeah 7m's 1J's and 2j's can be had for that kind of coin however there is alot of other coin associated with getting one of them running in the car.

I re did the head on x2 4m's (different cars) and had no other with the heads on those blocks. If done and done properly, with coolant you will be fine. 7M's have most of the head gasket issues casue of the boost added to the equation.

where are you located and do you have an early or late 4M as I think I may still have a reco'd head with low km's around