my new 88 cellica

jazza

firstly, welcome to tocau.

my boss has the same model. i've been suggesting a 3S-GTE conversion for some performance. Style wise , keep the paint looking good maybe some 17's. my personal idea would be to leave it, they are becoming harder to find on the road in good nick, so small mods will do the trick :)

my 2 cents added, no change req :D

to do the swap, you will need:

ST165 or ST185 front cut.

(165 would be easier, considering yours is a 162)

alot of time and patience.

you would proably use your std fwd box, or an mr2 turbo box (with converted linkages), you wont be able to convert to awd (no space in the floorpan for a rear tailshaft or diff)

a front cut might set you back $2000-3000 plus time/labour to do the swap.

Edited by mick.wheelz

cheers for that mate... can you tell me where i can pick up a front cut from?????? and i did not know you can have a engine out a AWD and be able to put in FWD.... if thats what your trying to tell me...lol cheers

cheers for that mate... can you tell me where i can pick up a front cut from?????? and i did not know you can have a engine out a AWD and be able to put in FWD.... if thats what your trying to tell me...lol cheers

There's nothing about the 3SGTE that makes it AWD-only (it came out in 2WD form in the MR2 anyway), what makes the GT4 AWD is the gearbox and transfer-case. If you use the ST162 gearbox, or an MR2 turbo one, then it'll stay FWD.

will the ST205 GT-Four go in my 88 sx... they say the ST165 is to old to inport.... so if i find a hlf cut is this all i need to convert....??????

it *MIGHT* work (hiro? any ideas) but a 165 or 185 h/cut would be better.

Edited by mick.wheelz

will the ST205 GT-Four go in my 88 sx... they say the ST165 is to old to inport.... so if i find a hlf cut is this all i need to convert....??????

it *MIGHT* work (hiro? any ideas) but a 165 or 185 h/cut would be better.

You wouldn't want an ST165 halfcut anyway, the Gen I 3SGTE is pretty weak (136kw) and would be getting very old by now. An ST215/245 Caldina halfcut would be the most powerful, but also the rarest. In reality, probably either a 185 or 205 halfcut would be fine, doubt there'd be enough of a difference between the two to make one much easier to fit than the other - obviously the 205 is more powerful but will be more expensive.