Programming a Key for the 5th Gen Camry - Help :)

Newbie1987

hey man, i did as those instructions said but it doesn't work :( it says "insert the already registered master key in the key cylinder" but it doesn't state whether to put it on "On" or "acc" or "start", so i'm confused....i tried doing it exactly as it said but no luck .... i'd ask you how you did it, but you have a different car...thanks for your help anyway man..

hey man, i did as those instructions said but it doesn't work :( it says "insert the already registered master key in the key cylinder" but it doesn't state whether to put it on "On" or "acc" or "start", so i'm confused....i tried doing it exactly as it said but no luck .... i'd ask you how you did it, but you have a different car...thanks for your help anyway man..

From reading the instructions, I would say you don't turn the key at all. Just insert/remove etc. It should pick it up I would have assumed. You can tell it detects it because when you take the key out, the security light starts flashing and when you insert the key, it stops flashing. Then if you take an unchipped key and insert it, the security light still keeps flashing.

Anyways, sorry to hear it didn't work. It was worth a shot I guess.

Bit of a bummer. I guess the US ones program differrently because they seem to have success with the procedure:

Key Question (Searched)

I searched on Ebay for "2002 camry transponder" and found a vendor with a transponder key blank. Works like a charm but you have to have a master key to program any additional keys. I brought it to my local Ace to get cut and had it working in 5 minutes. Here is the procedure that worked on my 2002 XLE 4-cylinder:

1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time

2. Insert existing master key into ignition.

3. Within 15 seconds depress and release accelerator pedal 5 times.

4. Within 20 seconds depress and release the brake pedal 6 times and remove key.

5. Within 10 seconds insert new key into ignition.

6. Within 10 seconds depress and release the accelerator pedal 1 time.

7. After 80 seconds new key is registered and security light goes off.

8. Remove new key and depress and release brake pedal 1 time.

The hardest part is waiting for 80 seconds at the end. Keep in mind the Security light will flash for 80 seconds and then stop flashing. The instructions kinda make it sound like it will stay on steady for 80 seconds then turn off, that's not the case.

Upon searching more, it seems like it is a hit and miss. Some people say it works, some say it doesn't.

hey man,

take the key to a dealer to do it. im a locksmith and some keys that come off ebay do not contain the transponder chip they require to start the vehicle so maybe go to either a locksmith or the dealer,

but hope you have good luck if u pm me ur location, i know a lot of locksmiths i might b able to get them to look after u

cheers kyle