RAV 4 owners: need your help

snooze

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and yes I am a Toyota enthusiast :)

We are considering buying a brand new 2009 RAV 4 either in cv6 or sx6 or maybe zr6 and have a few question to ask before we make our final decision.

Can I ask what range of v6 rav4 you have? and how much did you pay it (drive away price)?

I have another query, we really like the car but my research show that the rav4 suffered hesitation/throttle delay issue ( when pressed down the accelerator it appears to be a few second delay).

I call all rav4 owners to help me answer the golden question, have this issue been resolved with the 2009 model as this does raise some safety concerned?

Thanks everyone and appreciate your help in advanced.

Edited by snooze

Hi.

Bit difficult to give a meaningful driveaway price. FWIW I bought a ZR6 in June for a changeover of $43,500, including registration, stamp duty, and delivery costs.

The ZR6 had towbar and towbar wiring, reversing camera, reversing sensors, carpet mats and rubber boot mat - all genuine.

I traded a 2001 VXII Berlina V8 auto sedan.

Hope this helps!

Oh, yeah. I can't say I have noticed any significant throttle lag. Certainly no more than the Berlina had. That said, I haven't been driving it hard - I've only just got to 2000 km! So far I like this car very much.

Edited by sandshoe

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone,

We are considering buying a brand new 2009 RAV 4 either in cv6 or sx6 or maybe zr6 and have a few question to ask before we make our final decision.

Can I ask what range of v6 rav4 you have? and how much did you pay it (drive away price)?

I have another query, we really like the car but my research show that the rav4 suffered hesitation/throttle delay issue ( when pressed down the accelerator it appears to be a few second delay).

I call all rav4 owners to help me answer the golden question, have this issue been resolved with the 2009 model as this does raise some safety concerned?

I was towing a tandem trailer other day with a small GTI on back and went across an intersection with time to spare, imagine my dismay when the acceleration was almost none existant.

I flicked to LPG and took off rapidly.

Dont knwo what the problem is but its in the EFI.

The other day it woud not even kick over on Fuel so I switched to LPG.

Bit disappointed in the RAV4, not even a POWER button unlike the Camry.

Seriously considering yanking out the 3FSE and going to a 2VZFE.

QED.

Hi everyone,

I was towing a tandem trailer other day with a small GTI on back and went across an intersection with time to spare, imagine my dismay when the acceleration was almost none existant.

I flicked to LPG and took off rapidly.

Dont knwo what the problem is but its in the EFI.

The other day it woud not even kick over on Fuel so I switched to LPG.

Bit disappointed in the RAV4, not even a POWER button unlike the Camry.

Seriously considering yanking out the 3FSE and going to a 2VZFE.

QED.

The current RAV4 runs the 2GR-FE (I think) in the V6 models. The earliest examples that came to Australia did suffer from throttle delays/ hesitation and Toyota actually ran a recall for the cars affected; or deliveries were delayed until a ECU reflash was done. We have our ZR6 since May 2008 (probably a couple of batches of cars after the initial release), and I have not noticed any throttle problem. Our price was around $43000 (with a few accessories fitted, and with Toyota employee discount (21% off!!)). The only complaint is that we are noticing some sulphur smell when the car is driven hard on an uphill occasionally (eg overtaking) and the dealer put that down to poor australian fuel. We however mainly use 95 or 98RON. Otherwise no problem. Hope this helps.

Edited by achk

The current RAV4 runs the 2GR-FE (I think) in the V6 models. The earliest examples that came to Australia did suffer from throttle delays/ hesitation and Toyota actually ran a recall for the cars affected; or deliveries were delayed until a ECU reflash was done. We have our ZR6 since May 2008 (probably a couple of batches of cars after the initial release), and I have not noticed any throttle problem. Our price was around $43000 (with a few accessories fitted, and with Toyota employee discount (21% off!!)). The only complaint is that we are noticing some sulphur smell when the car is driven hard on an uphill occasionally (eg overtaking) and the dealer put that down to poor australian fuel. We however mainly use 95 or 98RON. Otherwise no problem. Hope this helps.

Right you are about the 2GR-FE. I have noticed the sulphur smell in my '08 under hard acceleration sometimes. Toyota issued a TSB here in the US related to this problem, but it only applies to the '06 models. It involves replacing the catalytic converter:

http://rav4world.com/tsb/2006/EG048-06.pdf

• 1 month later...

laggy throttle ?

quite the opposite on my 08 pre-update model if anything it's too touchy on take off

(the post update I also drove seemed to have fixed the overly sensitive throttle)

the only lagginess i have with the car is its inability to decide which gear it should be in

the tcu/tcm could definitely do with a reprogram

edit: the sulphur smell is quite apparent when new, I've almost clocked 20k on the rav now and it has almost disappeared

Edited by oopy

I own one of the 1st ZR6 delivered - ex demo model. Supply to me was delayed until they addressed the lagging or delay issue. Unfortunately to this day, it still has the problem. I use only 95RON and occasionally 98RON, I drop down gears from 5 to 3 before accelerating even then, sometimes it will hesitate while other times even in 5th gear there is no problem. Its intermittent and no matter how many times I ask the toyota techs to look at it, nothing changes. It appears they cant do anything about. :angry: