Gen 3 Camry Audio Wiring

Niall

I've recently replaced the stock standard Radio Cassette with a CD/Tuner. In the wiring loom from the old radio are two plugs. One with eight pins, and one with five pins. The eight pin connector contains the RF and LF speaker pos & neg wires; battery; accessory; illumination and dimmer wires.

The five pin connector doesn't seem to serve any purpose, despite containing a red wire, white wire, black wire and white-with-black-stripe wire. There's another but can't remember right now. That aside, none of these wires have power either with or without the accessory switch on. The only thing I've not done is tested them with the engine running.

I won't get back to the thing until next weekend, so would like to know if anyone else has run into the quirk I've found. Since installation of the CD/Tuner, and abandonment of the small five pin connector (it's not cut off, just not used or plugged into anything) the CD/Tuner does not hold any memory settings and start-up of the engine is a hit & miss affair. I can only think of two issues.

1. failing battery and/or solenoid on the starter motor; or
  2. some function of the five pin connector which needs to be spliced into the CD/tuner wiring.

Any ideas?

Just went through the same prcoess with my 2001 Camry. Took us a while to find the wiring info online(fortunately my son was in the business a while back). Anyway we got it all in and working without having to use the 2nd plug(5 pin) and all we could guess was it was for a CD stacker, or whatever, if needed...No problems like yours though, works like a charm.

Thanks guys. I suspected as much. I have the workshop manual and read the wiring diagrams carefully. Just wanted to make damn sure I wasn't missing something. Sounds to me like either a dying battery or stuffed solenoid is the problem. I suspect leaving the boot lid open all day while installing rear speakers wouldn't have helped a three year old 'low-maintenance-battery'.

Despite a 24 hour charge, INOX and a little acid injection, this morning's start was still a struggle. Buggered if I know why people believe the farce of 'low-maintenance-batteries'.