timing belt

addy287

car is due for service...219000

apparently 200 was suposed to be the major one, but i didn't know lol

at wot k's is the timing belt meant to be changed? i had a look through the log book and couldn't find it.

also annyoingly the log book only goes up to 200000 service....very annoying

Usually if the person who changed it is nice enough, they would have put a sticker on the side cover for it.

I used to also write down the odometer reading in pencil on the plastic cover in addition to a sticker just in case. If you can't find any marking, then there isn't much else you can do to tell.

take a look at the timing belt, you should be able to see what sort of condition it is from that...

Now there's the thing.....I don't know the history of the SDV10 I bought recently. 228k on the odo and the usual scrutiny tells me most of the normal logbook timings have been followed, but just how does one 'take a look' at the timing belt? That's an engine out job isn't it?

take a look at the timing belt, you should be able to see what sort of condition it is from that...

Now there's the thing.....I don't know the history of the SDV10 I bought recently. 228k on the odo and the usual scrutiny tells me most of the normal logbook timings have been followed, but just how does one 'take a look' at the timing belt? That's an engine out job isn't it?

Take the upper timing belt cover off and look at the belt, if necessary jack the car up and turn the engine over by hand (ring spanner on the crank nut, with the transmission in neutral) to check all of the belt.

Take the upper timing belt cover off and look at the belt, if necessary jack the car up and turn the engine over by hand (ring spanner on the crank nut, with the transmission in neutral) to check all of the belt.

i know on the 5s (not sure about the v6) you just need to remove the right engine mount and put jack under the motor to pull the timing belt cover off.