Klugers are in demand!

dadonbike

This information may help other potential Kluger purchasers.

I've been looking to buy another Kluger in Melb.

Buy new?

We bought a KXR 7st FWD in Nov 08 for $42k OTR with nudge, tow bar, parking sensors, mats, muds and protection pack.

This time round we wanted a KXR AWD. Best beal we could do was $48k OTR for 7st, nudge, tow bar, mats and muds.

I wasn't wrapped in the fullish price and concluded that the 50% gov rebate was significantly propping up the market.

Maybe in March 2010 sales will dry up and prices will get sharper. Or maybe in another 12months when there are even more Klugers on the road and more stock for sale. Or will that just bring more enlightened buyers into this scarce market and continue to hold up the price.

Buy second hand?

We looked extensively at second hand market and noted all the prices were pretty high considering kms.

The odd one will appear at a good price but will seemingly get sold overnight. A couple we liked got purchased 9pm that night by keener buyers than us. Bugger.

Hertz Car Sales?

Hertz car sales hand pick the ones they want to sell in their yard and are pretty sharp on the price. Anything sub standard gets sold wholesale and anything damaged gets repaired and shipped off to auction. They won't negotiate as they reckon they'll get just as good a price selling it wholesale. Each car has a condition report so ask to see it. Anything with major panel damage won't appear in the yard. The car we liked was a KXR 7st with 45000kms for $34800. I noted in the cars folder (which the seller showed me) that the car was undamaged and it had a written down value of $27500. The price you pay includes their buying power discount, detailing, wages, overheads, profit margin, GST and registration. Its a good option and other car dealers seem to be more expensive. At least you know the cars have been kept clean and serviced. ANd there is some history to the car, which is more than some dealers give you.

5 or 7 seat?

There are heaps of 5 seaters around, so obviously most people want the 7 seaters.

Insurance

2008 Klugers are cheaper to insure than 2007 and 2009!

Refer to my post earlier today about RACV prices for 2006-2009 KXR klugers

AWDs are more expensive to insure.

FWD or AWD?

AWDs are unbelievably rare (nationally) for a 2008 KXR 7st for less than $40k. The only ones i found were at Hertz Car Sales Hayfield, Sydney and even considered an air fare to inspect and purchase. Both had 25000kms. One had the bumper replaced.

What did we do?

After refusing to downgrade to a RAV4, we lashed out on a 2008 KXR AWD second hand. First to see it and sold. Purchased within 75mins of seeing ad. This time I was the keenist buyer. Details withheld until I actually own the vehicle. Finders keepers.

Anyway, someone else may wish to give an update on their experience.

Edited by dadonbike

DoB,

I guess firstly HB for yesterday,

Good report there and certainly interestly info on the market and the demand for a Kluger.

I've been tossing up the idea loosely, of selling my 38,000k KX- R 7s AWD. As I've just threw away a highly paid job due to the excessive working hrs expected every day that I've put up with for over 30yrs.

But, I just can't come to terms with parting company with it due to the fantastic ability it has to launch my boat on inland Weir banks without the need to use a concrete ramp. Along with fact its just a magic lovable beast.

So it may just stay as I love it as vehicle, especially now I just fitted All Terain tyres.

Mine was a novated lease Kluger company vehicle I've driven since new, which I'm currently in the process at the moment of purchasing out the lease.

The info you posted is an interesting read for myself. good to see you found a second Kluger.

I have been having delusional thoughts of selling my AWD KX-S which has 24000km on it. But its a grass is greener on other side type fantasy.... was really just wondering what else would be better @ similar money and thus have not followed through with a for sale ad personally.

Good questions.

Problem #1: I'm 6ft 3 and feel very comfortable in the Kluger. Our 05 Camry Ateva is well appointed but too small for me.

Problem #2: The wifey loves the Kluger and wants to drive it, especially with the reverse camera

Problem #3: We both work 4 days and share the drop off and pickups for our 5&7 year olds and prefer the Kluger for this

Problem #4: I like to ride my Mountain bike at lunchtime, so need the Kluger on those work days to transport it (camry is useless for this)

and so on.. Get the idea its an arm wrestle!!!

So we fixed it. Can't really justify the expense but we'll give it a go.

• 3 months later...

Just bought my KX-S FWD with tow bar as only option for just under $42k. It's build date is Dec 07, first reg in Jan 08 has just over 32km on the clock... it's 7 seat too by the way... feel I've got a bargain :)

Hey DadOnBike

Interesting that you got such a high quote for the new KX-R.

Knowing that these cars sell well, I negotiated and ordered a new KX-S AWD at the end of December for an early April delivery. My price was only a few $000 above your quote. I was happy to order and wait for a specific build and colour (2010 compliance plates) and get it straight off the boat (it arrived at the dealership this week). I believe that the KX-S is the pick of the models in terms of useful stuff for the $$$ (though it would be nice to have built-in GPS).

It would be interesting to hear what others are paying for a new one at the moment...

Roger.