How Aussie made V6 Engines Compare with Japanese Made V6 Engines

K8Canb

I am curious to know how the Aussie made V6 engines (Aurion is made in OZ I think) compare with Japanese made V6 engines (3VZFE and 1MZFE). I am driving a 3VZFE Camry and I cannot complain about anything. I presume 1MZFE is the same. However, Aurion engines are here only for the last three to four years. Do you think they are as good as 3VZFE and 1MZFE?

K8Canb

Yes the Aurion is made in Oz as is the gen6 Camry but the V6 in the Aurion (2GR-FE) is built overseas the same as the other V6's (2VZ-FE gen2, 3VZ-FE gen3 & 1MZ-FE gen4 - gen5).

The 2GR is as good as the others as it produces more power with lower fuel consumption and emissions with dual VVTi (it is euro IV compliant). There is an issue with the VVTi oil feed pipe. I know some people here on the forum are not happy with the fix that Toyota has (replacing the rubber hose for another rubber hose), but the all metal pipe that has been fitted since late '08 engines is available and can be fitted.

It also due to euro IV compliance does not need the timing belt changed every 100k (3VZ) and 150k (1MZ) as it has a timing chain.

Time will tell ultimately.

Yes the Aurion is made in Oz as is the gen6 Camry but the V6 in the Aurion (2GR-FE) is built overseas the same as the other V6's (2VZ-FE gen2, 3VZ-FE gen3 & 1MZ-FE gen4 - gen5).

The 2GR is as good as the others as it produces more power with lower fuel consumption and emissions with dual VVTi (it is euro IV compliant). There is an issue with the VVTi oil feed pipe. I know some people here on the forum are not happy with the fix that Toyota has (replacing the rubber hose for another rubber hose), but the all metal pipe that has been fitted since late '08 engines is available and can be fitted.

It also due to euro IV compliance does not need the timing belt changed every 100k (3VZ) and 150k (1MZ) as it has a timing chain.

Time will tell ultimately.

Thanks for your informative reply, I was wrongly assuming that 2GR-FE is being made in Australia. While I am happy with the quality of body made here, I was bit doubtful about the quality of engines made in OZ by Toyota.

The performance of 2GR-FE is very impressive both in power as well as fuel economy.

K8Canb

The only engine Toyota has made locally to my knowledge is the 2.4L 2AZ-FE found in the Gen 5 and Gen 6 Camry.

The hybrid Camry, set to be launched next year, will have its powertrain imported from Thailand (2AZ-FE + Hybrid system).

I have no issues with the 1MZ-FE in my Camry, it was a very advanced motor for its time, particularly in comparison to the competition who back in 1997 were still producing SOHC and pushrod engines.

The only engine Toyota has made locally to my knowledge is the 2.4L 2AZ-FE found in the Gen 5 and Gen 6 Camry.

The hybrid Camry, set to be launched next year, will have its powertrain imported from Thailand (2AZ-FE + Hybrid system).

I have no issues with the 1MZ-FE in my Camry, it was a very advanced motor for its time, particularly in comparison to the competition who back in 1997 were still producing SOHC and pushrod engines.

Thanks for your reply, can you highlight the improvements in 1MZ-FE over 3VZ-FE?

My Camry has 3VZFE and even after crossing 215000 kms I am still happy with its performance.

K8Canb

Thanks for your reply, can you highlight the improvements in 1MZ-FE over 3VZ-FE?

My Camry has 3VZFE and even after crossing 215000 kms I am still happy with its performance.

K8Canb

I have taken this from Wikipedia:

The MZ family is a lightweight V6 engine of an all-aluminium design, using lighter weight parts than the heavier duty VZ block engines in an effort to lower production costs, decrease engine weight, and decrease reciprocating weight without sacrificing reliability. Toyota sought to enhance the drivability pattern of the engine (over the 3VZ) at exactly 3000 rpm, since that was the typical engine speed for motors cruising on the highway. The result was less cylinder distortion coupled with the decreased weight of rotating assemblies, smoother operation at that engine speed, and increased engine efficiency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MZ_engine

The only differences I know that stand out from the 3VZ and the 1MZ is that the 3VZ had a cast iron block and the 1MZ had an alloy block. The 3VZ used an OBDI diagnostics port and the 1MZs used an OBDII diagnostics port. The Aussie OBDII port is different to the rest of the OBDII ports overseas though, so don't bother importing a Scanguage from the US as it prob won't work... unless you know a workaround of course.