Existing Stereo Output...

Aussie Nuf Man

Hey all, this is my first post in this forum. I have recently sold my `91 1JZ Soarer and have on order a 09 Altise. I sold my Soarer with all stereo components removed and now have a new car to fit it to.

I do not wish to screw with/replace the existing head unit because it has the reverse camera, bluetooth, stacker etc standard. What i am wondering is if there is 'line' outputs on the headunit standard or will I need to pickup some sort of high-to-low converter so that I can take the direct speaker outputs from the headunit and dumb them down to suit my amps? Dont get me wrong, I have the old headunit I could install, however, why get the optional extras if I have to remove/modify them to get my subs, speakers etc working.

The best way I can describe the headunit in the Altise is being a double din unit. with the 3.5-4inch lcd in the centre with the 6 cd stacker inbuilt. As I am yet to take delivery of the vehicle, I cant give any more real details.

Thanks heaps.

Nuf Man.

You will find that the stock head unit does not come with any RCA pre-outs for connection to an amp. Most OEM head units don't come with such outputs. I am yet to hear of one that does (though someone may already know of one).

As you predicted, to connect an external amp, you will need a high-to-low converter (commonly referred to as a line out converter) and connect your amp that way.

You will find that the stock head unit does not come with any RCA pre-outs for connection to an amp. Most OEM head units don't come with such outputs. I am yet to hear of one that does (though someone may already know of one).

As you predicted, to connect an external amp, you will need a high-to-low converter (commonly referred to as a line out converter) and connect your amp that way.

Pretty much as I expected. Thanks for your help. Just another question, is there a premium stereo package that includes a sub? I ask because if there is, does that mean the headunit has pre-out for a sub? I'm guessing not..... If there was, there would most likely be a sub pre-out on headunits - or, the premium stereo would have a premium headunit to suit.

Anyway, I'll do what I always do when I rip a dash apart and fiddle - I'll make a decent guide to help others.

you wont need a convertor to make your unit have rca output. just cut the rca's male plug and wiring from there. did it with my gfs yaris. but you have to make sure, the amplifier is capable of doing so.

you wont need a convertor to make your unit have rca output. just cut the rca's male plug and wiring from there. did it with my gfs yaris. but you have to make sure, the amplifier is capable of doing so.

You have to be careful when describing it like that mate.

This method only works for amplifiers that have high-level inputs and you must ensure that you connect to that. Some allow high level inputs into the RCA inputs of the amplifier, but I don't trust those (auto-detecting ones anyway) as I've had one fail before. Not all amps have this feature so I don't usually say it to prevent confusion.

• 3 months later...

It works only u direct link from the board and skip the internal amp.

• 2 weeks later...

what is the quality difference in say running a stock hu with the converter for a amp/sub compared to a aftermarket hu with rca outputs to a amp/sub?

none/not noticeable/little or quite a noticeable difference in audio quality?

Edited by hAmZ

You have to really make sure your amp is cabable of this. I would only trust the amplifers that have the separate high-level inputs. There are amps out there that are meant to auto-detect high-level and low-level inputs all through the standard RCA inputs, but after some bad experience with them, I wouldn't trust them again.

is there any quality difference in say running a stock hu with the converter for a amp/sub compared to a hu with rca outputs to a amp/sub?

planning to run a sub and amp on stock headunit.

There is a fairly noticeable difference but this all depends on how good your ears are. If it's just a sub, most people wouldn't tell the difference. Once you throw other speakers into the mix though, the differences become a bit more clear. This is because with a headunit with no RCA outs, you need to go from low-level to high-level to low-level to high level again. With a headunit with RCA outs, it simply goes low-level to high level.

If you're the type of person that doesn't notice much difference between 128kbps and 192kbps MP3's, then you probably won't notice any difference in the above scenario.

i sometimes notice a difference between 128/192 lol.

if i were to add a low high converter for a sub to an stock headunit powering f+r speakers, will the volume/quality decrease in the front or rear? and would i hook the converter into either the front or rear speakers?

maybe ill just invest in a new headunit

Edited by hAmZ

if i were to add a low high converter for a sub to an stock headunit powering f+r speakers, will the volume/quality decrease in the front or rear? and would i hook the converter into either the front or rear speakers?

When you tap the line out converter into your speakers, you shouldn't really notice a difference in the sound of your existing speakers. You can if you have sharp hearing, but in general, we can say it's negligible.

As for front or rear, the choice is yours. Up to you. If I was to fit one, I'd personal go for the rear since I hear less out of those speakers. It's also convenient when doing it for a sub since the rear speakers aren't far.

One thing to remember as well though is that if you bias your fader towards the front or rear more, then you should put your LOC on the speakers that get more fader bias.

thanks for the response. clears some things up for me.

im not going to bother anymore and decided to get a headunit. which is 1 extra thing on the list now. haha