Heavy Steering?

macaroni

Hey guys and gals,

Just a quick question, are Celicas with power steering usually harder to steer than other cars with power steering? I noticed this when I first bought the car but didn't think it was an issue, when i compared it with my mate's civic today, it felt so much heavier. Even his dad asked why my steering was so heavy.

Is it a problem with the P/S system or do celicas just have heavier steering?

BTW the car's a 91 SX

Cheers

It could be multiple reasons as to why the celica feels heavier.

Look at the difference between the two cars

-Rim size and tyre width/profile/height/quality and also tyre pressure plays a factor.

-Also when was the last time the power steering fluid got a flush?

-Weight difference between the two cars?

Theres tons of reasons why!

There are many reasons why this might be the case. Another reason might be the fact that the power steering pumps leak in EVERY 5gen Celica I've ever seen.

The steering should be reasonably light and responsive, however. I find my steering to be only, say, 20% or so heavier than that of a well-maintained Echo I drive occasionally (keeping in mind the Celica is about 35% heavier and 10 years older to begin with).

I'd definitely start with a fluid change. There's a product out there with some anti-leak compound that works well if you're having to top up more than once every 3 or 4 weeks.

Edited by Keisari

There are many reasons why this might be the case. Another reason might be the fact that the power steering pumps leak in EVERY 5gen Celica I've ever seen.

The steering should be reasonably light and responsive, however. I find my steering to be only, say, 20% or so heavier than that of a well-maintained Echo I drive occasionally (keeping in mind the Celica is about 35% heavier and 10 years older to begin with).

I'd definitely start with a fluid change. There's a product out there with some anti-leak compound that works well if you're having to top up more than once every 3 or 4 weeks.

this.

a few things to try/check.

a) tyre pressues (if its too low, steering will be heavy)

B) fluid level/quality (do a fluid change for the best results here)

c) is the system leaking?

d) is the pump cavatating (making a horrible noise)

e) how wide are your tyres?

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will definitely change the p/s fluid this weekend. Hope that makes it a little lighter.

I've got 205/55 on stock 15 inch alloys.

When I say 'so much heavier' it's only by about 25-30% heavier than the civic.

I don't think the pump's leaking and it's not making any noises.

I'll get a mechanic to check it out though.

OFFTOPIC: Where can I find a shop in Sydney that stocks exhausts for the 91 SX celica? I'm thinking mainly axleback but might do the complete exhaust if funds allow.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will definitely change the p/s fluid this weekend. Hope that makes it a little lighter.

I've got 205/55 on stock 15 inch alloys.

When I say 'so much heavier' it's only by about 25-30% heavier than the civic.

I don't think the pump's leaking and it's not making any noises.

I'll get a mechanic to check it out though.

OFFTOPIC: Where can I find a shop in Sydney that stocks exhausts for the 91 SX celica? I'm thinking mainly axleback but might do the complete exhaust if funds allow.

its pretty unlikely that there will be a pre-made exhaust for it... ans as far as i know there only flange is on the flex pipe at the front... you will need to get one made up...

Sorry to slightly hijack but im having the same heavy issue. And i know something is wrong cause my bf's SX is way lighter then mine. So how do you flush out the P/S?

Sorry to slightly hijack but im having the same heavy issue. And i know something is wrong cause my bf's SX is way lighter then mine. So how do you flush out the P/S?

Suck all of the old fluid out of the reservoir, top it up with new fluid, start the engine and rotate the wheel to full lock a few times, turn the engine off and repeat until you've used the bottle.

Edited by Keisari

Suck all of the old fluid out of the reservoir, top it up with new fluid, start the engine and rotate the wheel to full lock a few times, turn the engine off and repeat until you've used the bottle.

That method can do the job, but its just diluting down old fluid till it's changed... and can take a while to get it completely swapped. Not that I'm saying it's a bad method, but I guess it depends on how serious you are about it.

My method is to jack the front of the car up, then lay out some old rags under the front of the car and the PS reservoir (process can get messy). Then (with the car off) disconnect the power steering fluid return line from the cooling loop at the front of the car and let it drain into an old container. Try and keep the disconnected ends aimed into the container then go and turn your steering wheel from lock-to-lock (still with the car off of course) a few times or so, holding it on lock for a few seconds each time.

Then connect the pipes back up and top up your PS reservoir with new fluid. Then, while leaving a funnel in the PS reservoir, have a bottle of PS fluid in hand, start your engine, then quickly be prepared to top up the reservoir as the fluid is taken from it. Once it's to the point that the fluid in the reservoir remains level, put the cap back on the reservoir and turn your steering wheel from lock-to-lock making sure that you go slow as you reach the end then gently and very, very briefly tap the stop at the end. You will hear your revs increase slightly. Make sure you don't old it at the end... just a tap quicker than a second is all you need.

Once you have done one lock-to-lock of the wheel, check the level in the reservoir to make sure it is on (hot) low or above. If lower, top it up till it is on (hot) low. Then go back to the steering wheel and turn from lock-to-lock several times and then turn off your engine.

From here, you can do one of two things:

1) Repeat the draining procedure. This is if you really want to flush the system. I would personally do this as PS fluid is not expensive and this is not that time consuming. Or

2) Lower the front of your car back onto the ground and top your PS reservoir up between hot low and hot full.

That's my way of explaining it. As you can see, I'm not great with written instruction.