LED taillights for ZZE hatchbacks

chicken

Is this a matter of getting lots of LEDs in the tail light or just replacing the incandescent bulbs?

If it is getting lots of LEDs then you should be able to get a standard set of tail lights (wreckers?), drill out the reflector to suit the LEDs you want to use ie:-5mm or 10mm red, white and amber LEDs.

The resistor value you need in series will vary dependent on how many LED's you use and how you wire them, in series or in parallel.

If you are using lots of LEDs you will need to wire them in both series and parallel to get them working correctly.

Each colour LED has a different voltage drop when lit so you need to think carefully about how many LED's you want, then work out the series parallel combination needed, then calculate the resistor value for the combination of LED's.

See seller "lvehk" on eBay for LEDs in bulk eg:- amber 10mm 350269684830. You might be able to get a few members here to share the price.

I used this method for putting in a single 10 mm red LED on the outside edge of the tail light that is on all the time.

I removed the tail light assembly and drilled a 10mm hole, hot glued the LED in place and wired it to a ignition switched 12v which I got from the rear wiper motor.

If it is replacing normal incandescent's then look at "warden_jp2002" on eBay, I have found this seller to be reliable and quick.

These are similar to the ones I used for brake 200443339177, turn 190376486767, backing light 190375724706.

Your standard turn relay will probably not work and has to be modded for the lower current drawn by the LED's, plans on the web though (Google is your friend here).

You will need some electrical skills here ie be able to measure low resistance and be able to solder .

Watch out for relay connection layouts with electronic flasher units on eBay.

Buy all your supplies from warden_jp2002 using the same currency otherwise you will not get combined postage.

This is the route I took for all my lights apart from head lights as all small lights are just plug in replacements if you get the correct size.

I hope this helps, it may not.

soundbyte

Wow! Finally, you managed to find them! B)

Ouch about the cost though. Wonder if this has got something to do with it coming from a Japanese seller (I'm under the impression that new JDM accessories are expensive, seeing how much they go for back home.).

Perhaps another method is to stalk/ pester the eBay UK sellers, ask TOC UK to organize a group buy or something else.

EDIT: Dug out more info

Yahoo Auction Buy It Now Price: 24,800 Yen ($312)

Source: http://page15.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t153430589

Actual Price (On the K-Loop website.): 25,250 Yen ($317)

Source: http://www.k-loop.co.jp/hoom-peji/hp-tail-led/5-arex.html

Edited by ToyotaFreak

soundbyte: As you can see in the attached photos, these tail lights have that section on the outside with individual LED's that are spaced apart to give it that 'LED tail light look'. I guess for this look, the convenience of buying a new tail light would probably be better than DIY. LED bulb replacements are good, but don't give you that 'look'.

djkor: if you read my reply I mentioned initially that you could do the "look" with DIY by drilling the standard tail light reflectors that would give you that "look".

From what I can see in the photos only one section is LED the rest are standard incandescent light sockets. Can I not see something that you can?

DIY lots cheaper than buying from the links provided.

soundbyte

djkor: if you read my reply I mentioned initially that you could do the "look" with DIY by drilling the standard tail light reflectors that would give you that "look".

From what I can see in the photos only one section is LED the rest are standard incandescent light sockets. Can I not see something that you can?

DIY lots cheaper than buying from the links provided.

soundbyte

The incandescent red bit is for the European-spec Corolla's rear fog lights (While they are extra tail/ brake lights with the JDM-spec cars.).

Onto the indicator & reverse lights, well, the previous generation Toyota Wish, Prius & current Estima/ Tarago/ Previa also employ a similar layout (LED brake/ tail lights + incandescent indicator & reverse lights.). I would guess that DEPO is also after an OEM-like kind of layout.

I did read your reply. I wasn't saying that you got it wrong. I was stating this to mean that the first half of your post is what really counts as the second half is irrelevant to the purpose of these lights for this given case. In my reply, the next sentence said:

... I guess for this look,
the convenience
of buying a new tail light would probably be better than DIY.

Not everyone has the skills or willingness to pull their headlights apart. Also, the traditional reflector is curved for use with a bulb whereas these have a flat panel with multiple mini reflectors for each LED. Not particularly easy to re-create whilst keeping a factory look.