Wheels and tyres for a new Hilux

Hi to all Toyota fans out there, just found this site and am keen to get some advice. Just bought a new Hilux twin cab, with alloy bullbar, tray, etc, it came with the factory standard wheels and road tyres, which while usefull around town, don't look that great(too skinny) and will definately not do for planned camping, fossicking, 4WDing expeditions. So, my question to you all is what recommendations do you have to put a wider, more dual purpose wheel and tyre on the new girl, I don't really want to have to do any mods to drivelines or anything if I can help it, thanks????????

Welcome mate...

Another hilux owner :)

IMO, if you're running around town and doing some bushwork, you can't beat a basic sunraysia rim.

What colour is your ute?

White suits nearly everything, but I've seen them painted gun metal grey and they looked pretty good.

Hi to all Toyota fans out there, just found this site and am keen to get some advice. Just bought a new Hilux twin cab, with alloy bullbar, tray, etc, it came with the factory standard wheels and road tyres, which while usefull around town, don't look that great(too skinny) and will definately not do for planned camping, fossicking, 4WDing expeditions. So, my question to you all is what recommendations do you have to put a wider, more dual purpose wheel and tyre on the new girl, I don't really want to have to do any mods to drivelines or anything if I can help it, thanks????????

Welcome! congrats on the new purchase :D what sort of tyres are you chasing all terrain or mud terrain? for all terrain i would look into the BFG all terrains, or even the mickey thompson ***** cepek FC-2's, as for mud terrain there's plenty of choices, i've gone trhough a set of mickey thompson baja claws, BFG mud terrain KM1's, Maxxis Trepadors, and Mickey Thompson MTZ.

also where abouts are you located? would be more than happy to help you out on finding the right set of tyres

cheers

Charlie

• 3 years later...

Hi,
I have a 2009 sr5 and are trying to decide on replacement tire size. I want to stick with the stock 15" rims. Not sure if i should go the 30/9.5 or 31/10.5. Wondering if the 31" affect performance.
Any advice appreciated.

31x10.5x15 is a perfect size for that. Easy to buy and a wide variety of brands. Just fitted a set of General Grabbers AT2 to a mates Triton and he loves them. Bridgestone' have a 674 Mud Terrain which is fantastic or the 697 All Terrain. They're getting about 60k out of those 697's with rotation every 5,000kms.