Looking to buy and need advice

cruiserDan

Hello board and boardmembers!

Stumbled across this great forum last week while researching our new family car. Between what I've read here and taking a loan car home for the weekend from a dealer I'm convinced this is the right one! Got a budget of about $35-38K and this is where I'm trying to figure out which model and options would be best. After visiting two separate brissie dealers who'd advertised AWD models only to learn each were FWD (after much BS), I'll take my chances buying privately. These are the three car types I can get for the above budget:

2009 KX-R model, 7 seat, FWD, about 30K kms

2008 KX-R model, 7 seat, AWD, about 50K kms

2007 KX-S model, 7 seat, FWD, about 70K kms

I can't figure out which is best, so I guess my questions are about the AWD versus FWD, are the added features in the S model actually worthwhile and how should I take into account kilometers?

We're a family of four, kids 4 and 2 and while the car is mum's midweek I'm pretty keen to explore a bit of wilderness on weekends plus the annual drive to the snow.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

Stumbled across this great forum last week while researching our new family car. Between what I've read here and taking a loan car home for the weekend from a dealer I'm convinced this is the right one! Got a budget of about $35-38K and this is where I'm trying to figure out which model and options would be best. After visiting two separate brissie dealers who'd advertised AWD models only to learn each were FWD (after much BS), I'll take my chances buying privately. These are the three car types I can get for the above budget:

I can't figure out which is best, so I guess my questions are about the AWD versus FWD, are the added features in the S model actually worthwhile and how should I take into account kilometers?

We're a family of four, kids 4 and 2 and while the car is mum's midweek I'm pretty keen to explore a bit of wilderness on weekends plus the annual drive to the snow.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Cruiserdan, Guess it comes down to if u need a AWD or FWD & if you'd like leather interior with some extras or cloth seats of the KX-R.

I have the FWD version and am very happy with it,but do little to none off road stuff.The thing i wanted was a car with some room for kids (16 y/o & 14y/o & 3 y/o) and luggage space,with some performance as well.

Which ever one you go for you'll be pretty happy with them over all. :clap:

Thanks for sharing, if I don't plan on going fully offroad and don't need Downhill Assist Control, then I'm wondering how important AWD might be around town. Mind you a work colleague got t-boned on the weekend in wet weather so I'm thinking twice on this option.

Cheers,

Dan

Mate I would look for a new one for that money, $38k saw me in a brand spanker this week. Yes it's 2wd and 5 seats but your family can still fit in. Pick mine up on Friday.

Cheers,

Dan

Mate I would look for a new one for that money, $38k saw me in a brand spanker this week. Yes it's 2wd and 5 seats but your family can still fit in. Pick mine up on Friday.

RRP is around $41K - I can't imagine your price was driveaway but well done anyway. We think we really need the 7 seats for other kids and relatives. Enjoy your first weekend driving!

Cheers,

Dan

RRP is around $41K - I can't imagine your price was driveaway but well done anyway. We think we really need the 7 seats for other kids and relatives. Enjoy your first weekend driving!

Driveaway it is!! Thanks will do.

I'm now wondering how much I need the 7 seats...considering your price is about $7K under rrp driveaway, can I ask how and where you got that deal??? Impressed...

I wore the poor bugger down, I actually feel sorry for him!! I will send you a pm on dealership and contact. Western Sydney. He said his manager wasnt happy he let it go for that price - considering it is a April build and May complied vehicle. Now going through the insurance rigmouroll!!

7 seats is a great feature. We've used it several times now to take us (family of 4) and the grand parents on a trip and we all fit with one seat spare for some day-trip luggage.

I think it's difficult and expensive to upgrade to the 7 seater after buying a 5 seater largely because the air conditioning ducts etc in the roof are much cheaper to be done during original build.

We had a cloth seat car previously and wanted a bit of a treat/upgrade in our new car so the KX-S sold us for the leather, soooo easy to clean... now that it's winter in Melb I've used the seat warmers for the first time and they're are simply gorgeous, almost sexual :unsure:

I've gone the FWD as I get better fuel economy over an AWD.... I rarely go off road and when I do it's gravel roads without ruts and the Kluger is fine. If I try to be quick off the lights in some greasy conditions I do get wheel spin until I back off the accelerator... You've got to weigh up fuel economy and running costs vs AWD grip.

Oh and regarding the 3 cars you were considering, I'd certainly give preference to those that have some of the original new car warranty, this gives you some room to discover problems and have them fixed for free. Plus there is there service advantage (or whatever it's called) that means you should only pay $150 or thereabouts for all services within 3 years or X kms (can't remember the figure.

I got my KX-S FWD 7 seater for $42k second hand with 33,000km on the clock back in Feb... prices have surely come down since then but thought I'd mention that as a guide for you, you may be able to get a car very similar to mine for just on $40k....

Edited by whofan

• 3 weeks later...

I got my KX-S FWD 7 seater for $42k second hand with 33,000km on the clock back in Feb... prices have surely come down since then but thought I'd mention that as a guide for you, you may be able to get a car very similar to mine for just on $40k....

Hi,

Can i know if this price is from a dealer or private sale?

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Cruiserdan,

I got my Kluger as an Ex Demo. It is KX-R AWD 7 Seat and bought it in August 2008 (first registered June 2008) for $40,000 on road (with $1,500 trade in). That was from Bill Buckle Manly. The car had about 4,000 kms on it when I picked it up. Found it advertised on drive.com.au.

Cheers,

Snowy

• 3 weeks later...
<br />
<br />I got my KX-S FWD 7 seater for $42k second hand with 33,000km on the clock back in Feb... prices have surely come down since then but thought I'd mention that as a guide for you, you may be able to get a car very similar to mine for just on $40k....<br />
<br /><br />Hi,<br />Can i know if this price is from a dealer or private sale?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />
<br /><br /><br />

That was from a Melb Toyota dealer.