Replacing Brake Pads

Tonester

Hi all

My 2008 Kluger went in for its 40,000 km service the other day. Because it's on fleet management they ring the fleet compoany for the OK to do stuff and not me. However, I pay for it from pre-tax salary..so ultimately all operating and maintencance expenses come out of my own pocket.

So I was a bit dismayed when I went to pick it up and was told that the front and rear brake pads were replaced and the discs were machined. WTF!?! I thought. It's a bit early to be replacing pads and machining discs. To add insult to injury the disc(s) were not machined correclty and you can hear an odd sound when braking at low speeds.I had to take thew car back today to get that rectified.

I am no expert on cars and maintenance but I am thinking that the work done was somewhat premature and opportunistic (it's on fleet and they might, incorrectly, assume that it's not my car so can do extra work without complaint from me).

I also asked them for a quote to replace the tyres and the guy's response was "why do you need a quote? It's on fleet isn't it?". Kind of makes me think that they approach customers who have a fleet arrangement differently.

So, am I wrong about the brakes going a little early and am I wrong about the need to machine the discs? I have 43,000 kms on the clock. About 20,000 of those kms was spent on the highway so not alot of opportunity to use the brakes. Makes me wonder.

What do you guys think??

Hi all

My 2008 Kluger went in for its 40,000 km service the other day. Because it's on fleet management they ring the fleet compoany for the OK to do stuff and not me. However, I pay for it from pre-tax salary..so ultimately all operating and maintencance expenses come out of my own pocket.

So I was a bit dismayed when I went to pick it up and was told that the front and rear brake pads were replaced and the discs were machined. WTF!?! I thought. It's a bit early to be replacing pads and machining discs. To add insult to injury the disc(s) were not machined correclty and you can hear an odd sound when braking at low speeds.I had to take thew car back today to get that rectified.

I am no expert on cars and maintenance but I am thinking that the work done was somewhat premature and opportunistic (it's on fleet and they might, incorrectly, assume that it's not my car so can do extra work without complaint from me).

I also asked them for a quote to replace the tyres and the guy's response was "why do you need a quote? It's on fleet isn't it?". Kind of makes me think that they approach customers who have a fleet arrangement differently.

So, am I wrong about the brakes going a little early and am I wrong about the need to machine the discs? I have 43,000 kms on the clock. About 20,000 of those kms was spent on the highway so not alot of opportunity to use the brakes. Makes me wonder.

What do you guys think??

umm I don't have my owner's manual nearby as I'm at work at the moment.

I'd have a flick through the manual paying particular attention to the service pages, there should be a recommendation in there as to what needs changing and when.

Brake pads can be changed earlier or later depending on driving style, conditions etc... but I would have thought maching of discs would be a little more regimental in their scheduling.

Also regarding your fleet costs.... I would have thought the fleet "package" would include things like service, tyres, fuel etc... ?? :huh:

Owner's manual simply states inspection of brakes at every service. Nothing about when change of pads might be due.

Re. fleet costs: yes service, tyres and maintenance are part of the "package".....but that package is paid for by me and comes from MY pay packet, not my company's. It's part of my salary sacrifice deal, including FBT. So I do get concerned when things are done to the car if I think they might not be necessary.

hi,

generally with klugers we get brake pads at about 70k-80k kms, if your's were carried out at 40,000 it may indicate that your on the brakes hard causing disc faults (lip, glazing, grooves etc), having said that, the mechanics report them if they are needed, so what i will assume happened is, discs needed machining, pads had roughly 6-7mm left on them, so they thought they may as well knock it out all in one shot, but then again thats my opinion, every where does things differently.

• 2 weeks later...

Owner's manual simply states inspection of brakes at every service. Nothing about when change of pads might be due.

Re. fleet costs: yes service, tyres and maintenance are part of the "package".....but that package is paid for by me and comes from MY pay packet, not my company's. It's part of my salary sacrifice deal, including FBT. So I do get concerned when things are done to the car if I think they might not be necessary.

I don't understand....

When I've looked at leasing before, getting servicing, tyres, fuel etc included in the monthly costs seemed so attractive as all costs were covered regardless of how harsh you drive.

So if you stomp the brakes and take corners fast.... replacing brake pads, machining discs and replacing tyres more quickly than another more conservative driver doesn't matter as you're paying one flat fee.

Are you suggesting you have to pay for each service individually?

I don't understand....

When I've looked at leasing before, getting servicing, tyres, fuel etc included in the monthly costs seemed so attractive as all costs were covered regardless of how harsh you drive.

So if you stomp the brakes and take corners fast.... replacing brake pads, machining discs and replacing tyres more quickly than another more conservative driver doesn't matter as you're paying one flat fee.

Are you suggesting you have to pay for each service individually?

There are many kinds of leases available - Novated Lease which I suspect Tonster is referring to. With Novated all operating costs as well as financing costs come from your pre-tax salary which will reduce your tax in your highest bracket. And they do package the costs when they sell the lease to you and show all the associated (forecast) maintenance costs. Ultimately you are still coughing up for it (there are no free lunches - it comes down to how you look after your car) Other leases like operating leases usually are paid by your employer and include maintenance. Believe me the whole lease thing is a little like black magic.

Hi all

What do you guys think??

I have 80,000km on my Kluger and nowhere near needing brakes! I too do mainly long distance runs with almost no city driving.