Powersteering fluid topup?

lynetteaaron

I have a kind of weird question. I own a 2003 Camry V6. My powersteering fluid was very low, so I topped it up myself yesterday with the ATF Dexron 3 (as per the manual). However on checking my servicing history later that same day (yesterday) I discovered that last year only 'normal' powersteering fluid was used by the mechanic (not Toyota) after doing a flush. My question is, can the ATF Dexron 3 be added as a topup to the remainder of the powersteering fluid (which was not ATF Dexron 3) or do these two not mix (in which case I assume I would need to do a flush and get rid of it all)? Thanks for your help.

I have a kind of weird question. I own a 2003 Camry V6. My powersteering fluid was very low, so I topped it up myself yesterday with the ATF Dexron 3 (as per the manual). However on checking my servicing history later that same day (yesterday) I discovered that last year only 'normal' powersteering fluid was used by the mechanic (not Toyota) after doing a flush. My question is, can the ATF Dexron 3 be added as a topup to the remainder of the powersteering fluid (which was not ATF Dexron 3) or do these two not mix (in which case I assume I would need to do a flush and get rid of it all)? Thanks for your help.

Most power steering fluid/ATF you buy these days is Dexron III or higher. As long as you don't go any lower (ie. Dexron II) then all should be backwards compatible even between brands. So basically, as long as you buy Dexron III or higher, you will be fine to top it up yourself.

Most power steering fluid/ATF you buy these days is Dexron III or higher. As long as you don't go any lower (ie. Dexron II) then all should be backwards compatible even between brands. So basically, as long as you buy Dexron III or higher, you will be fine to top it up yourself.

Yes i agree,That is absolutely spot on.