Hey all,

I am new to these 2GE motors in my Aurions. My other Toyotas are proberly older than most of the members here :D

:help: What I want to know is, has anyone looked into gear drives, will they work with the VVTI or does anyone have some cam dialing specs. My cousin and I are kicking the idea of fitting a 2GE into an o'l Range Rover for next years Endevour Rally. We did consider the supercharger but we are worried about intake issues with dust ect. I figured a bit of cam timing mods, different chip ect should do the trick. If I can get the results it should be good for sport/street use. Also what Toyota 4wd box if any will bolt up so we can get a north/south alignment.

Cheers

Thats a long way for a gear drive and off hand i cannot see enough benefits to outweigh the downsides.

Certainly strong engines, do they have the open-style deck like the 1GR's do?

I'd be looking for boost.

Filtration is easier to engineer to an application

Good point, Forced Induction over engineering. I haven't seen a 2GE out of a car yet. Would love to get a look at the insides though. We have a couple of TD04 Turbos laying about. This could be an option. Tuning and trans I think will give us the most hassle. Do you know what other models carry the same motor but fitted inline? I think even stock the Toyota motor is going to be pretty spectacular compared with the Leyland unit.

Good point, Forced Induction over engineering. I haven't seen a 2GE out of a car yet. Would love to get a look at the insides though. We have a couple of TD04 Turbos laying about. This could be an option. Tuning and trans I think will give us the most hassle. Do you know what other models carry the same motor but fitted inline? I think even stock the Toyota motor is going to be pretty spectacular compared with the Leyland unit.

The 2GR in particular has come in in RWD format in the IS, GS and Crown overseas (with direct injection too), but if you want something local the only options are the 4.0L 1GRFE in the Hilux and Prado, and the 2.5L 4GRFSE in the IS250

With stock compression, the 1GR doesn't like much more than 10psi extra on a day to day basis.

I've heard of guys pushing it to 14psi and some using 10psi with 50 or 75hp worth of nitrous as well, but its a risky game.

The 5VR (i think thats it?) V6 that came before the 1GR is a much more boost-friendly engine, there are some getting around the States with over 600hp.

Wasn't Peter Kittle's Finke Buggy running a twin turbo'ed Camry V6?

With stock compression, the 1GR doesn't like much more than 10psi extra on a day to day basis.

I've heard of guys pushing it to 14psi and some using 10psi with 50 or 75hp worth of nitrous as well, but its a risky game.

The 5VR (i think thats it?) V6 that came before the 1GR is a much more boost-friendly engine, there are some getting around the States with over 600hp.

1GR comes with a nice factory supercharger kit though

1GR comes with a nice factory supercharger kit though

That it does.

There are a few more kits for it out there, as well.

I'm sure that in a lighter platform, with a manual box behind it, a 1GR with stock boost levels would be great fun!

Getting away from the original question though. I do believe it has been answered? lol

I'm interested to see how this project goes :D

Edited by Jap