Remote button stopped working

Pirate

Yesterday the spare remote button for the central locking on my wife' 2001 Corolla hatch stopped working. I replaced the battery (which is fairly new)and checked that the red LED on the remote was working. It still will not communicate with the car. The other remote is fine. What could cause the remote to do this? Can the frequency somehow change without an obvious reason? There were no high tension lines or generators nearby at the time. Any ideas would be welcome.

If you use the key to lock the car, does the central locking work? if not I'd check the fuses first.

Thanks. I should have mentioned that since some lowlife tried to break the lock, a key cannot be used to open the driver's door, hence we use the remote. The central locking works ok so that is not the problem.

checked the fuses? is it the OEM remote or aftermarket?

I wouldn't be suspecting the fuses in the first place for the simple fact that as part of his troubleshooting, Pirate said initially:

The other remote is fine.

I would be suspecting either the remote is faulty or the remote central locking receiver is not recognising the code that the particular remote is transmitting. Most of the time, it is the car that is programmed to the remote. In other words, the remote frequency/code is fixed and the car is set up to 'recognise' this code.

So it's either the remote has developed a fault in it's transmitter, or the car for some reason has forgotten the remote code. If you can find instructions on how to add additional remotes to the car, I'd follow those steps first, and if you are sure the procedure was performed correctly and the remote still doesn't work, then I'd suspect the remote is faulty. These things can happen.

checked the fuses? is it the OEM remote or aftermarket?

I wouldn't be suspecting the fuses in the first place for the simple fact that as part of his troubleshooting, Pirate said initially:

The other remote is fine.

I would be suspecting either the remote is faulty or the remote central locking receiver is not recognising the code that the particular remote is transmitting. Most of the time, it is the car that is programmed to the remote. In other words, the remote frequency/code is fixed and the car is set up to 'recognise' this code.

So it's either the remote has developed a fault in it's transmitter, or the car for some reason has forgotten the remote code. If you can find instructions on how to add additional remotes to the car, I'd follow those steps first, and if you are sure the procedure was performed correctly and the remote still doesn't work, then I'd suspect the remote is faulty. These things can happen.

Thanks for that. If its the remote and not the receiver in the car, its probably due to a faulty component like a resistor on the circuit board. I will take it to the Toyota dealer and see if they can sort it.