New wheelies

stevo1210

So I finally got some alloys for my ZZE Corolla... since i'm a uni student on a minimum wage income flipping burgers, i couldn't actually afford brand new alloys, so these ones are second hand. I wanted something with thick edgy spokes so one day i wondered into the auto store to take a look and came across this set. in my eyes, they seem to fit my car really nicely. sure, they have a few blemishes such as gutter scrapes, but when i bought them i requested that the store repaint these... and so they did... with a spray can of metallic silver. if i'm not mistaken these may have come off a holden astra? but the astra has 5 lugs and this only has 4 and quite similar in pattern design!

post-14488-128611018328_thumb.jpg

post-14488-128611002184_thumb.jpg

there is only one problem... the paint isn't very hard. some kiddies came over last weekend and they were bored enough to scratch some bits of paint off with their nails. i only found out when they came running up to me saying "look at my nails... they have silver specks in them" they sure did... and when i asked they pointed to my wheels... O.o

but look, if this gets bad over time... out comes a bottle of duplicolor wheel paint and that should solve all my problems. :)

but... today i discovered something. these second hand tyres are 7 years old and cracking on the sidewall. they are dunlop sport 200e 195/60/R15 88V. looks like i need new tyres like tomorrow morning?

the tyre store that i'm going to has dunlop sport 200e's (japan made) for $135 each... these are good right?

my steelies used to have falken ziex's (still have them under the house). i wasn't happy with these tyres caused they wore out too quickly, but in return were grippy.

Edited by stevo1210

If they were definitely off an Astra, it would have been off one from quite a years back as they once had the same PCD as your Rolla.

If your paint on them is coming off that easy, do not blast it with a high pressure washer then because it will come right off.

one of my friends said they might've come off the 1998/1999 model Astra since they used the 4x100 stud pattern. looking through google images, that seems to be the case in my eyes.

I got the new tyres today. They are Dunlop SP300 series tyres... also the same size at 195/60/R15 88H. My old ones were 88V but oh well, not that it matters to me anyway. At least these tyres are dated from late 2009 so I know they aren't old stock which my safety depends on. :)

I'd also add that these tyres are really grippy even though it was pouring with rain today. :)

I also got a set of chrome wheel nuts with these new tyres... even though I scabbed and saved my old original Toyota ones which they were gonna take from me. :)

Edited by stevo1210

If your paint on them is coming off that easy, do not blast it with a high pressure washer then because it will come right off.

I'm actually trying to wait for the sun/heat/UV/rain to destroy that new layer of paint because the old layer underneath is this beautiful metallic silver that looks like the machine finished stuff on my mum's Honda Accord. Or if I could find a way to remove the paint myself without destroying the old paint then yeah.

Edited by stevo1210

• 1 month later...

The one in your picture are 5 stud, my car is only 4 studs since it's a ZZE Corolla. :(

Otherwise I'd be all over them. :)

My work this summer better get me a new set of alloys to replace these decrepit ones I currently have lol.

Edited by stevo1210

• 3 weeks later...

The one in your picture are 5 stud, my car is only 4 studs since it's a ZZE Corolla. :(

Otherwise I'd be all over them. :)

My work this summer better get me a new set of alloys to replace these decrepit ones I currently have lol.

lol they look good on, i just got 17's like the ones on the 2010 aurion they give the car a nice look. let me know what u think.

cheers