Headrest DVD player/monitors

mirz

Just installed 2 headrest DVD players in our new kxs over the weeend. Can't believe how simple the whole process was. Took me about 1 hour to do this.

There is no hassle to remove seats back panels, as there are zippers to open back of your both front seats. Pleasant experience to run cable through there.

Sure I'll try taking pics after work and post them here.

Cost me $270 delivered from eBay. 9" screens with 2 wireless headphones, plays direct through DVD, USB, and SD memory card.

You can play same movie on both or separate at the same time. Also play games as it comes with controllers x2 with games cd.

So far pretty happy with whole deal and quality.

i connected to 12v power point the one between driver and front passanger seat. i used cig lighter cord cut it from the other end and solder it to power for both headunits together.

this way no need to cut any cable under driver seat.

i found an easy one, but that was coming from heated seat connection and abcolutly no use, other are connected to power seat motoros or all the yellow one i believe are there for airbags.

i would definately take pic and post them here, just too occupied by w ork atm due to end of year.

Can't wait to see the pics..

How many screws to remove the centre console btw driver and passenger seat?

Can I use something like a Y-cable if I do not want to cut and solder the wire?

no need to unscrew anything mate, just used 12v power supply point which is on console between driver and passenger seats.

i'm very hopeful to leave early today from work, so woill post pics tonight to make it more clear.

img2048x.th.jpg

img2049rc.th.jpg

Step 1:

remove these 2 plastic clips under your seat gently, they are very easy to remove by pushing them a little bit.

img2055w.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Step 2:

Take the zipper end out from behind, and open it

img2056d.th.jpg

Step 3:

Remove original headrest and insert cable of new headrest through same holes, you have full access to back of seats so move cables all the way down is not an issue at all.

img2058h.th.jpg

img2062a.th.jpg

Step 4:

do the same thing on other seat, run cable under floor carpet mat to back of driver seat and make connections according to user manual. very simple connection AV type like on back of your TV or sound system.

Step 6:

join both power cables and connect to a Y type cigg lighter extending cable (buy one from supercheap auto for $5-$7) i simply cut on end of female side connector and solder it to positive and negative cables of DVD/TV.

run it to power socket between both seats. in this way i'm not cutting any actual car's cable at all.

img2068nl.th.jpg

now simply tidy cables behind seat, and close zippers, and connect bak those white plastic clips under seat.

img2065rs.th.jpg

i hope it will help someone here to install this setup in your Klugger :-)

cost = $280 inc cigg lighter Y cable

total time= about hour to hour and a half

Edited by mirz

I choose not to have zipper on top, just persnoal choice.

They are quite far from kids and not easily scratched unless kids are very naughty :-)

I bought mine from guy named hitechbestdeal, excellent communication and super fast delivery. I think it was delivered on 3rd or 4th day.

Kids realized very quickly that it's their and they have to look after it well if they want to enjoy. So far touch wood it's giving us great relief. Went to echuca for weekend and hardly hear any noise from back seats :-)

Hi All,

Just a word of caution. I had a friend have their headrest DVD players stolen from their Pathfinder. Zipper covers are to hide the screen when parked, to reduce chance of someone breaking in and taking them.

Cheers and Merry Christmas,

Snowy68

They are not firmly fit as they are supposed to fit in all sort of cars.

Did you use metal tube? Also try putting some sliced foam to make it buy firm and avoid vibration. I can't gear much vibration TBH.

Only annoying thing I found so far i can't use these headrest to support my head.

my head does not reach cushion at all :) shape is more like designed to provide better viewing angle for rear seat passengers. doesn't look like they kept driver in their mind at all.

thinking to buy one extra neck support for long trips.

Finally got the whole set installed. Thanks to mirz for being the first to do this and providing the steps

On the kxr I had to remove 3 steel 'rings' that tie the inner fabric to the outer.. These once removed cannot be reused , anyway not sure they're needed as the flap covers up that section nicely.