Foglight Switch wiring

pezzie

I decided today to fix my foglight wiring. i wired it randomly and one day in the car, i pushed the switch and it worked, with the foglight indicator on the dash. With the wiring this way i can only turn it on once every few hours.

I've been trying to read up quite a bit on the net but now im confused.

My few questions are:

What is pin 1 and 2 on my relay? i know its either 85 or 86 but cant tell. Pin 3 is 30 and 5 is 87. I assumed 1 was 86.

5356127460_aa6941beac_z.jpg

5356139554_77c28ec64f_z.jpg

How do i wire up the switch?

Here is a picture of my switch.

5355493675_4c05d1c0c3_z.jpg

The red wiring come together to make 1 wire which is the power.

The white is the ACC.

The black is the ground.

GTL0ST tried to help me.

This is how his one is wired up.

5356148494_36367d5bb2_z.jpg

Wy only has the ACC (yellow cable) wired and the red cabled grounded.

Any help and explanations would be greatly appreciated! Diagrams would be awesome. thankyou!

UPDATE.

I've got it working :D

i just realised that all i need to do is have the parkers on then turn the foglights on and off. They work all the time now :D:D

Edited by pezzie

• 2 weeks later...

ok just a little update, these arent working anymore. They havent worked since i've tested them.

So can someone shed some light on what they think can work? Im pretty sure im not wired into the right wire, but i dont want to go splicing away.

I'll be either booking this in to an auto electrician or get a factory stalk in a week if i dont have it working.

I'll try to help where I can based on the partial mess trying to follow the above. This is assuming you haven't used any stock wiring.

Firstly:

What is pin 1 and 2 on my relay? i know its either 85 or 86 but cant tell. Pin 3 is 30 and 5 is 87. I assumed 1 was 86.

86 most likely matches up to what you have labelled as '1'. But that doesn't matter though because a relay coil is non-polar so you can wire it either way around.

Now, basically what I would do is connect a constant positive to pin '87' of the relay. This constant positive should be connected with some decent gauge wiring and connected directly to the battery with a fuse placed close to the battery.

Then I would piggy-back pin '87' to pin '86'. You can use some thin wire for this. Then I would connect pin '85' to one end of your switch, and the other end of the switch you then connect to a constant ground.

From the sounds of it though, it appears you are using stock fog light wiring in your car. If that's the case, where have you wired your switch to?

thanks for the help djkor!

i have the foglights connected to the stock wiring.

What ive tried to do is connect the switch to the cables right behind the relay. After a bit of reading i thought i would need to connect the acc cable to pin 86.

So far i have the ACC from the switch connected to a wire behind Pin 1(i assume is 86). I have the switch grounded at a point under some of the panels where other electricals are grounded. I reconnected the battery to test the wiring and this is what happened.

1. No lights switched on, the foglight doesnt turn on and no dash indicator.

2. I turned on the parkers, the foglight switch illuminates on the actual button, i push the button in and the light on the actual button goes off, the light on the dash is on indicating the foglights are on.

I assumed it would always work after that and havent tried to turn until recently. Now what happens is, on no lights, parker and low beams;

I push the foglight switch on, and another light illuminates on the actual button and there is no indicator on the dash for the foglights. The foglights do not turn on either

How would you wire it up if you had to? Can the ground for my switch effect it?

How would you wire it up if you had to? Can the ground for my switch effect it?

I wouldn't have touched the wiring at the relay if I was using the stock wiring. When I fitted fog lights to an Aurion which didn't have them as standard, I used the two control wires at the steering column (that usually connect to the foglight switch on the indicator stalk), and connected these to the switch.

Toyota's tend to use ground switching. What you have done there by grounding one side of the relay coil would be correct. One side of the relay coil would be connected to a switched positive (comes active when the parkers are on) and the other side runs up to the steering column. If you accidental short out the wrong side, you can possibly blow a fuse somewhere.

Also, it nearly seems like you have not connected to the switch properly and instead are you are running your relay ground though the switch indicator light and not the actual switch contacts themselves. A multimeter would be useful here to check that.

hrrmm.. things are starting to sound a bit complicated. I dont wanna blow a fuse or anything so i'll either leave this to an auto electrician or get the OEM stalk.

thanks again DJKOR!

• 4 weeks later...

Wired up my fog lights and got the OEM stalk for about $120 from a wreckers in Melbourne - works 100% - only thing is the last owner has cut off the connecters for the foglights and I can't find where to get them anywhere. My only option is the auto electrician for $80 and I thought it was going to be easy doh!!