annoying centre console rattles....has anyone DIY job?

rai12480

G'day

Where do you think the rattles are coming from?

I've had a lot of squeaks coming from around the gear lever area.

I fixed them, one at a time by gently prizing the tow offending pieces apart with a flat bladed knife, eating a packet of smarties and then using the cardboard from the smarties to seperate the offending pieces of plastic. I know it sounds strange but I tried EVERY thickness of cardboard I could find to stop the squeaks and found that a double thickness of smartie packet is perfect.

Hope this helps.

The squeaks drove me up the bloody wall until I found them and sorted them out, one at a time.

G'day

Where do you think the rattles are coming from?

I've had a lot of squeaks coming from around the gear lever area.

I fixed them, one at a time by gently prizing the tow offending pieces apart with a flat bladed knife, eating a packet of smarties and then using the cardboard from the smarties to seperate the offending pieces of plastic. I know it sounds strange but I tried EVERY thickness of cardboard I could find to stop the squeaks and found that a double thickness of smartie packet is perfect.

Hope this helps.

The squeaks drove me up the bloody wall until I found them and sorted them out, one at a time.

yeah its driving me nuts ,it gets really worse on hot days and the aircon on.......pretty much on the silver parts....its really cheap ***** plastic....i'll try your DIY and see how it goes....thx

Isnt the warranty till 2012??

Even if its out of warranty you might be lucky and may get it fixed for free. Tell the dealer its still rattling after 5 times they've tried fixing it and now its out of warranty. (Using better words and not getting too irrate)

G'day Rai

Have a go with the smarties packet, I know it sounds weird but for me it worked.

The silver plastic pieces around the gear lever appear to be, to my eyes, too thin so they flex and rub against each other.

Start on the right hand side nearest the gear lever, from my experience that side is worse, as I said gently wedge a flat bladed knife in between the black plastic of the centre console and the silver plastic of the surround, don't push too hard, just enough so you can slide the folded over cardboard down, take the knife out and I found a 5 cent piece was perfect for gently pushing the cardboard down slightly below the silver trim so you can't see it, don't push too far or it will just fall out inside the console.

I've also found it worse when the car is hot, perhaps it's because I'm hot an bothered which makes it seem worse.

My friends all laugh at me because I can't stand squeaks and rattles etc.

Anyway, have a go and let me know if you have any luck.