Camry Altise Charge light on

Zealous

Hi

I've got a Toyota Camry Altise 2003. Although its a V4 engine, the previous owner installed lpg on it. The problem that I'm facind is that when I start the car in the morning (when the engine is cold), the battery charge light stays on. It stays on but its not as bright as it is before the cranking, but its stays on dimly for a while (2 mins)and starts to flickr as the engine gets warmer and warmer. In a couple of minutes the light goes off. If I try to drive the car when this light is on or flickering, the engine stalls and the engine malfunction light come on. I have got it checked by a mechanic and he has asked me to get the alternator replaced. I know that the alternators in these models are buggered, but I don't want mine to be replaced for nothing unless I'm sure. The car has done 110,000 kms.

Any ideas or previous experience with same kind of fault????

Sorry mate I have no suggestions other than to find an Auto Electrician who has a scan tool to correctly diagnose the problem. Most of them will do that without charging for the few minutes it takes to plug it in. If the alternator is the problem I can get you a genuine one for about half the price that Toyota dealers are asking. Also there are available some good aftermarket units I can get for you for about $200.00

Please PM me if you need any more info

Where are you? I may be able to suggest someone local.

Regards