Stability Strap with Pacific Brands Bike Rack

Paul Read

I recently bought a new 4-bike rack, by Pacific Brands. It's good, but it does bounce around a little. It comes with a stability strap, the skimpy leaflet that comes with it suggests that you attach one end of the strap (which has an 'L' hook) over the frame of your rear hatch of your vehicle. Given the rear glass hatch on the Kluger, there's no obvious place to attach the hook.

There's the possibility of hooking it over the top of the rear spoiler, but as it's plastic, I'm not a big fan of that. Another option might be to pass the strap under the bottom of the glass hatch & secure the strap inside the car (perhaps on one of the tie-down points), then close the glass hatch on the strap. Not sure I like this idea either.

Has anyone else fitted a Pacific Brands bike to the Kluger ?

Cheers, Paul.

I have the same bike carrier and therefore the same problem. I have been hooking the strap under to tow bar and pulling the carrier back towards the rear of the vehicle as much as I can. Not ideal but it takes some of the load off the carrier.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same bike carrier and therefore the same problem. I have been hooking the strap under to tow bar and pulling the carrier back towards the rear of the vehicle as much as I can. Not ideal but it takes some of the load off the carrier.

Thanks for the reply. I might give that a go, but will ask the service guys at my 70,000 what they think. Not sure they'll be able to tell me though...

Cheers, Paul.

• 2 years later...

Just came across this discussion - did you ever suss out the best thing to do with the stability strap?

Have just bought a Pacific 4-bike rack and absolutely nowhere to hook the stability strap on to my Kluger (2008 AWD Grande).

Bugger!!!

I still hook the strap under the tow bar, but also use zip ties to hold the cross bar of the bike rack to the tow bar to prevent it from turning as you corner with bikes on board. Hope this makes sense and helps.