New engine time :-(

Hi guys,

The '94 Hilux needs a new engine as the timing chain broke. Now I'm wondering which engine to get for it?? I want to do more towing, and 4wding so am I ok to stick to the 22R? Or should I go another engine. I'd like to go diesel but I guess I'd have to change all the fuel lines and pumps? Also i'm gonna do it myself for sub $1000 if I can.

Also with the timing chain going bust, is there anything else I need to check, Like the gearbox or anything for stress??

Cheers,

Chris

Should be fairly cheap to get a 22R from the wreckers and drop it in. At least you would have it on the road so you can use it

If you are heavy into 4x4ing you would do well to find another vehicle more suited to the off road driving you will be doing.

Not to say the Hi-Lux is a slouch by any means but the cost and additional problems you will encounter with a major engine change could make it worthwile to upgrade the whole car.

The cost of converting the Lux to diesel would likely be more than getting this one back on the road with a 22R selling it and buying one fitted with a factory diesel

If you are looking at towing a car trailer or caravan save the cash and upgrade to a Cruiser or maybe a Prado. They have a bit more weight and would be more stable on the road.

Hope you find an economical solution

Regards

• 2 weeks later...