Help Changing Tweeters

Im such "nut" I gave it a go and came off with a bit of pull. I got to work out now to change all my speakers.

The easy part is taking rivets out.

Hard part is trying to put my new speakers in, I got no idea how to mount them properly without wrecking the old speakers as I will want to replace them back if I ever sell the car. As stated on this topic 123R-Prozak cuts his old ones out.

Anyone got any ideas of making some sort of mount or where I can buy mounts from?

ImPulse Thank you so much looks like a trip to Bunnings tomorrow for some MDF board.

1 question tho your speakers sit Flash/flat against the MDF where as my speakers have a bit of a lip that will stop it from sitting flat. What would be the best way to mount them with the MDF.

Would screwing them in where the 4 U shape parts of the speaker hold well on the board?

2v8fpxh.jpg

Edited by justin105

No worries, happy to lend some sort of assistance :)

I believe if you screw them in via the 4x holes, they would still sit properly. The lip should protrude 'upwards' from the MDF, rather than 'under' the speaker.

(sorry that's a bit hard to understand..) - just mount them and see how they sit. They should be flush without problems.

You want them to sit as flush as possible against the MDF for the best possible sound quality (or so i've heard).

But now some advice from a personal perspective, if you save up a bit more, get a set of Splits (or component speakers) for your front, you'd be hard pressed to find much difference between your stock setup (which is actually not too bad!) and the 3 way pioneer's you have bought. You really need that extra (separate) tweeter to bring out more of your music.

What do you do with these ones if you decide to get splits? Just put them in your rear door :)

Alf

Edit: if you want a bit more detail on how to install them, check out my build thread.

Edited by ImPulse

No worries, happy to lend some sort of assistance :)

I believe if you screw them in via the 4x holes, they would still sit properly. The lip should protrude 'upwards' from the MDF, rather than 'under' the speaker.

(sorry that's a bit hard to understand..) - just mount them and see how they sit. They should be flush without problems.

You want them to sit as flush as possible against the MDF for the best possible sound quality (or so i've heard).

But now some advice from a personal perspective, if you save up a bit more, get a set of Splits (or component speakers) for your front, you'd be hard pressed to find much difference between your stock setup (which is actually not too bad!) and the 3 way pioneer's you have bought. You really need that extra (separate) tweeter to bring out more of your music.

What do you do with these ones if you decide to get splits? Just put them in your rear door :)

Alf

Edit: if you want a bit more detail on how to install them, check out my build thread.

Hey Thanks again for me info...

I actually have the ts-a1702c pioneer speakers for the front but got to work out how to put them in soon and where to mount the spitters and so on. pioneer_ts_a1702c.jpg

Hopefully I can get the backs in tomorrow. I have just been using the stocks they have been quiet good considering they were stock pioneers in the back not sure in the front id say there the same.

these speakers i have that im putting in, in the back and front i bought them with my amp and sub last year just havnt had the cash as i was going to get them done from a store and since you guys have been really good help ill give it a go. I have already drilled out the back speakers so just gotta mount them now and do all the other hard work hhaha. but better off doing it myself i guess and saving 300 bucks for the shop to do it.

I have never wired up splits only normal speakers like the rear i have. and never wired them to a amp so its going to be a competition haha.

but better off doing it myself i guess and saving 300 bucks for the shop to do it.

THIS. Its all good, a learning process. Its good to start with audio, nothing TOO major can go wrong. Make sure you disconnect your battery before starting.

Basically, instead of using the rear/front left/right outs on the deck, you use the RCA output, and that sends audio data to your amp. From the amp, you run speaker cable (left/right front/rear) from the amp to the speakers. So the direction of audio flow goes:

HEAD UNIT > AMP > SPEAKERS.

Again, let me know if that doesnt make any sense :P

Alf

but better off doing it myself i guess and saving 300 bucks for the shop to do it.

HEAD UNIT > AMP > SPEAKERS.

Alf

Well I have already wired up my sub and amp to my head unit its been in the car since last year. There pretty simple I have done a few in mates cars as well, but the trick is now the speakers but coming from what you said I think I got a bit of a understanding.

ImPulse You are a genius.

Thank you so much for the help I went out this morning and bought 12mm MDF board as they didnt have any 16mm left, and started working on the project of mounting my speakers. All up it cost me $16.00, $10.00 for the MDF large sheet and $6.00 for the self tapper screws. I done the whole lot within 3 hours cutting and all. Have a look below for some pics. Sorry there not the best there off my old phone haha.

Thank you again you saved me a lot of money and it was easy to do. My next thing to do now is the front speakers with tweeters and the splitters. I just got to work out where to mount the splitters and all. mounting the speakers is easy now so i got no worry on that.

:) cheers

Edited by justin105

Too easy man :)

Its good to see some progress shots - the MDF mounts look beautiful considering its your first time doing them! I've personally installed them in about 4 cars so far (mates and so on) My first ones didn't look anything like that!

Start a build thread in the members section so we can see your modding progress? And how'd you go with that speaker 'lip'? Did it fit flush in the end? Cos it looks pretty neat in the photos.

Might I suggest you trim some of that wire that I see you've shoved into the door frame? Looks like a mess of spaghetti there, don't want it bouncing around or interfering with the window mechanism.

Otherwise top stuff man! Go buy yourself something else with the money you saved by DIY-ing :D

Haha yeah the wires trimmed off I just ran the wire inside the door to get the speaker in. The speaker ended up sitting flush so I'm pretty happy with it all.

I was going to write a DIY on the front with the tweeters including making mounts and all so should help a few people.

A question with the splits. Do I just disconnect the wire at the back of the head unit for the front speakers and then run the wire on the left and right side of the car from the amp to each side into the splitter?

A question with the splits. Do I just disconnect the wire at the back of the head unit for the front speakers and then run the wire on the left and right side of the car from the amp to each side into the splitter?

I'm not 100% clear on what you mean, i chose to not use the speaker outs from the head unit, rather ran the RCA cable to the amp, and then ran the speaker cables from the amp back to the rear of the head unit (under the door sills) and reconnected it all there. My splits branched off to the midwoofer/tweeter inside the door itself.

Hope I haven't confused you more :P

Cheers

Alf

I'm not 100% clear on what you mean, i chose to not use the speaker outs from the head unit, rather ran the RCA cable to the amp, and then ran the speaker cables from the amp back to the rear of the head unit (under the door sills) and reconnected it all there. My splits branched off to the midwoofer/tweeter inside the door itself.

Hope I haven't confused you more :P

Cheers

Alf

All good I connected the left hand side front today and it works great. I have connected the amp via the RCA plugs. On my head unit tho when i turn off subwoofer from the menu the front speaker doesnt work.

Is this right?

Edit: My head unit has 2 RCA outputs, According to my Head units manual the first 2 are for Front output RCA connectors and the second lot is Rear/Subwoofer output RCA connectors. Does this meen I need to run a second lot of RCA connectors from headunit to amp for the SUB to run on a different channel???

Edited by justin105

Ok all is done everything seems to be running nice :) and loud and clear haha.

It's still a bit weird as when I turn the subwoofer down on the head unit the front speakers turn down a bit as well not sure if this is normal.

On the back of the amp I have input A L+R speakers plugged in on the top and input B subwoofer bridge across L+R speakers. And I ran a separate RCA for the sub.

Edited by justin105

I think thats quite normal depending on your head unit, see if you can find a setting to change this. My alpine allows me to control each individually, a benefit of having more than 1 RCA preout.

let me know how it goes.

It's still a bit weird as when I turn the subwoofer down on the head unit the front speakers turn down a bit as well not sure if this is normal.

I think thats quite normal depending on your head unit, see if you can find a setting to change this. My alpine allows me to control each individually, a benefit of having more than 1 RCA preout.

let me know how it goes.

Oh weird i got a alpine CDE-103EBT and i was sure the guy said i can have that but dunno how to set it hahaha.