The Twenty Eight

01 VEY

Well I finally got around to spending a few hours stripping the Celica of some parts in preparation for the restoration job.

Firstly I removed the battery then the coil & igniter (ex late Hi-Lux) Out came the accelerator cable (SV21 Camry), clutch cable, choke cable and the wiper motor and water jets.

Next came the radiator, battery cradle, some other small parts until it got to be too dark to see. Then I pushed it back into the shed. I have to get started a lot earlier in the day.

I hope next weekend is a better story.

post-22494-0-23611600-1308486439_thumb.j

That looks like it could be a classic

Are they worth much yet?

Those old square toyotas are getting 4 or 5k over here in NZ

Is your car going to give the FT86 a run for its money?

Rear wheel drive?

Definitely a classic this side of the ditch too. I have seen some really good ones go for around 10k

But nah I can't see it outrunning the FT86 other than in the appearance stakes. I love the old classics.

And yes it is RWD. Neither myself nor my son are big fans of front drive cars.

What about this one?

au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/.../7306-screaminrollas-ra28-celica/

I think you could easily beat an ft86

What hp will they be?

A n/a 2L .. I cant imagine it will be more than 210hp and 1100kg..thats 0.19 power/weight..pretty good

Your car at 1000kg would need 190hp to match it

• 2 weeks later...

What about this one?

au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/.../7306-screaminrollas-ra28-celica/

I think you could easily beat an ft86

What hp will they be?

A n/a 2L .. I cant imagine it will be more than 210hp and 1100kg..thats 0.19 power/weight..pretty good

Your car at 1000kg would need 190hp to match it

I found the screaminrolla RA28 and it looks awesome. I hope to have the bodywork looking as good as his but I will be keeping the 18RG because it's the one Mitch really wanted

to have.

About a month ago I made some time to get in and make a start on the much dreaded restoration of the Celica. I started to remove, label and pack up the parts form under the hood. Before I started I took a few pics so that I know where to refit all the bits when it comes back from the panel shop.

The dust and cobwebs are a testament to the length of time she has sat idle and untouched.

post-22494-0-78777400-1309696047_thumb.j

I got in yesterday and spent a few hours emptying the passenger and luggage compartments of the parts that had already been removed.

Last weekend was a no go zone for the garage but today I got in and stripped out a heap of stuff, bagged and labelled the bits with the mounting bolts and managed to find a hiding place for them from the dog.

Attached are a few pics of the slow but steady progress.

post-22494-0-62069600-1309696103_thumb.j

post-22494-0-62491200-1309696068_thumb.j

post-22494-0-28487400-1309696123_thumb.j

post-22494-0-09319300-1309696138_thumb.j

I must say I am satisfied with the progress thus far. Save for a few interruptions it should be off to the shop in about a month.

I think I will take a week off work before then to really give it a red hot go.

Will keep you all posted on the progress.

• 3 weeks later...

As posted in the 'what did you do to your car today' recently I bought a GT grille for the old girl from the US of A.

Yesterday I picked up my headers (which were looking pretty shabby) from Competition Coatings in Archerfield.

I can't believe I forgot to take some 'before' pictures. I found one in a folder of pics I had kept from a couple years back.

post-22494-0-64774200-1311378307_thumb.j

This is a real 'Silk purse from a sows Ear' story. The first pic is really ugly but the second shows the improvement.

post-22494-0-08965700-1311378762_thumb.j

Yes these are the same set

Edited by 01 VEY

• 5 months later...

Any updates on the paint job you were talking to me about? How's the hold ups with the painter?

Hey Trent

The painter has not yet re-opened from the x-mas break. I will see him sometime next week and make a decision then.

If it gets to be much beyond the end of this month before things are under way I will be in the market for a new guy to do the job.

If I get $10.000 in folding and wave it around I should attract some attention and maybe get some progress. (He already knows money is not a problem)

Altogether it is a bit disapointing to have to wait more than 6 months for an opening to have the job started.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went to see the panel shop this morning. He has a couple jobs left over from the end of last year but has said that he will be ready for the Celica by the end of this month. I hope that this is an accurate time frame so that we can be under way.

I spoke to an older mechanic who buys starters and alternators from me and he is happy to freshen up the motor for me so that will be starting in the next few weeks as well. I would like to do the engine myself but I just don't have the time to do a full rebuild.

So it is looking a bit more like things will start happening soon. :yahoo:

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Any updates on the paint job you were talking to me about? How's the hold ups with the painter?

I had a talk again with the Panel shop owner on thursday and he said to bring it in on Saturday. He said he would give me fortnightly updates on the progress and e-mail pictures of what has been done. I told him that sounded a bit like it was going to take a long time for the job to be completed and that I was expecting that it would be completed by the middle of March. So here's hoping for a speedy completion.

Finally yesterday morning I hired a car trailer and delivered the Celica shell I got in the middle of last year to the panel shop. Yes it is a different one to the one we had at the beginning but it has minimal rust and has a near perfect hatch and a much better bonnet. I will need to dig out some of the small cover plates from the engine compartment and get them in ASAP.

Our back yard is to have a 7.1m x 5.0m workshop/shed/man-cave erected in the near future all in the name of getting the Celica project happening and having a home for it when it is completed.

I have attached a couple of photos of the moving day even though they are not really that exciting. The original plan was for me to have a week off to assist with the paint stripping but with low staff levels at work I don't feel inclined to ask for any more time off. The fact is that I don't have enough annual leave left to do it either.

I will be sending the seats to be re-upholstered next week along with the door cards and hood lining. The seats are getting done in black leather with new foam bolstering but I am keeping the other interior vinyl panels as original because they are in the standard Toyota black.

More updates to come

post-22494-0-35483900-1328999487_thumb.j

post-22494-0-87058200-1328999489_thumb.j