Quirky rolla

I don't know if this is normal or not but there seems to be some sort of lag with the acceleration when I step on the pedal. That's why when I first got this car, I stalled it a few times. I realise this is not a 3 litre V6 like the car I used to drive but I was wondering if its just the nature of a small engine or if there is something wrong with it. Are your rollas like this too?

Another thing is the passenger seatbelt indicator. I put my camera bag on the passenger side and sometimes it triggers the sensor making it beep. The bag is not heavy, maybe around 4kg max. Does that ever happen to you?

I'm about to take the car for a check on Wednesday because when I slot the 1st gear in sometimes it makes a faint clunk and it actually made the car move a bit. I thought I'd ask for your opinion on the other "quirks" and see if they need fixing as well.

I'd appreciate any input you can give. Thanks.

I don't know if this is normal or not but there seems to be some sort of lag with the acceleration when I step on the pedal. That's why when I first got this car, I stalled it a few times. I realise this is not a 3 litre V6 like the car I used to drive but I was wondering if its just the nature of a small engine or if there is something wrong with it. Are your rollas like this too?

Another thing is the passenger seatbelt indicator. I put my camera bag on the passenger side and sometimes it triggers the sensor making it beep. The bag is not heavy, maybe around 4kg max. Does that ever happen to you?

I'm about to take the car for a check on Wednesday because when I slot the 1st gear in sometimes it makes a faint clunk and it actually made the car move a bit. I thought I'd ask for your opinion on the other "quirks" and see if they need fixing as well.

I'd appreciate any input you can give. Thanks.

I still stall the car 3-5 times a week after driving for 1.5 years, especially in uphill or reverse.. When I have 4 passengers in my car, I need to put more gas in order to stop it from stalling.. I have a female friend who owns a 1ZZ, she told me she needs more gas in order to start the car... Personally, I have also driven a 2003 Mazda 3, and a Proton GTI, these cars does not require a heavy gas input compared to my Corolla.. and I can say that the old cars tend not to stall easily.. but these cars got a hard clutch...

For my car, the more load I have, the easier to stall

4kg is enough to kick the seat belt indicator, especially in turning corners. People like to do shopping and put all the items in the left seat.. That will definitely trigger the seat belt indicator.. The only solution is to buckle the seat belt if you put items on the left seat

Edited by ben yip

drive by wire, so accelerator isnt directly linked to the throtle body hence lag

Thanks for the info guys.

I didn't know Corolla uses Drive by wire. To be honest I don't like the lag at all. How do you guys deal with the lag? I know some of you go to the track, I would imagine the lag would really get in the way.

And about the passenger seatbelt indicator, don't you think it's a bit too sensitive to be triggered by 4kg weight? I would think that even a child at the youngest age allowed to sit without a baby seat would weigh at least double that.

You get use to the lag over time. Some people don't, but majority of people do. Once that happens, it's not so of a problem on the track. You can get a throttle controller, and that cuts out the lag (literally).

About the passenger side seat sensor, that sounds about right. I find that it usually happens when you go around the corner a bit hard, the object/s in your passenger seat can trigger it. Moving the object to another spot on the seat usually deactivates the beep.

Thanks Dwee. So this is like a turbo lag only worse. lol I'll be honest with you, if I had known about this DBW lag, I probably wouldn't have bought this car, just as I would never buy a laggy turbocharged car.

How much does that throttle control cost generally? Any recommended brand? It'd be good to know just in case I can't take this lag any longer.