Changing wheels questions

After asking about whether I should mod now or wait, I figured I can just change the stock wheels but since I started my researched, it turned out to be more complicated than I thought and now I got more questions than answers.

First of all, who's the genius that thought mixing imperial and metric system is a good idea?

Anyway, in the ZRE hot hatch thread, juvenile told me the spec of the rims and tyres that I like, which is 17" 215/45/17, so off I went to Google, found a store and started checking out the different rims they have.

Now, they all have typically have this measurement for the rims, 17" x 7" or 17" x 7.5", and yet the recommended tyres are all the same size 225/45 R17. Which rim would be better for this 225/45 tyre? the 7" or 7.5" one? And what about the 215/45, is it better than the 225/45 on these rims? I know with the 225, the overall diameter would be almost identical to the stock while the 215 would make it slightly smaller.

Then there's the braking part. I read online that bigger rims will affect the braking. Do you guys fit a new set of brakes?

Would it be better for me to change the suspension first before getting new tyres?

What about the speedo calibration? I suppose if I choose the 225/45/17, I wouldn't have to worry about it, but what about for the 215/45/17?

And there's this wheeltrack rule thingee from RTA's website? It's on Page #2. Would that make the 225/45 a bad idea?

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf

An important requirement for all replacement wheels is that the wheel track must not be increased by more than

25mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle.

And I haven't even gotten to choosing the tyre model.

I need a kind soul to guide me through this...

i can only answer a few questions for you, some only through my opinion,

First of all, who's the genius that thought mixing imperial and metric system is a good idea?

british people

What about the speedo calibration? I suppose if I choose the 225/45/17, I wouldn't have to worry about it, but what about for the 215/45/17?

Wheel Size Calculator

Then there's the braking part. I read online that bigger rims will affect the braking. Do you guys fit a new set of brakes?

are you asking for the brake pads ? or a bigger brake disc ?

if pads obviously no, you dont need them, unless they're worn out

brake disc wise, im not too sure if it will affect it majorly, but in my opinion you dont need it, as far as my knowledge goes for getting bigger brake discs, its purpose is to offer better stopping performance, its like newtons third law, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, if you go fast, you gotta stop fast.

Would it be better for me to change the suspension first before getting new tyres?

you mean tyres to go along with the 17" you buying ?

imo: if you can afford it ? , or if you wanna change the look of your vehicle to go along with the new rims,

but didnt you say you didnt wanna alter your car due to the warranty as well , not too sure if they pick on this though, but it may seem that it will,

and thats all i can answer for you, in my own personal opinions,

hope this helped :]

-jeffy

edit: hrmm, i was wrong it was the british/french who made the the imperial units, majorilly british, :P

Edited by jeffy

Now, they all have typically have this measurement for the rims, 17" x 7" or 17" x 7.5", and yet the recommended tyres are all the same size 225/45 R17. Which rim would be better for this 225/45 tyre? the 7" or 7.5" one? And what about the 215/45, is it better than the 225/45 on these rims? I know with the 225, the overall diameter would be almost identical to the stock while the 215 would make it slightly smaller.

7in wide is a more standard size for wheels, so I would go with this if I were you, to ensure accuracy of your speedo, etc try and stay as close to stock rolling diamater as possible, so in this case 225's would be better.

Bigger, heavier rims can affect braking to a small degree, but no where near enough to warrant new brakes! If you are that concerned, buy a sportier brake pad when you need new ones.

It probably does not matter if you ware going to keep the stock rolling diameter and offset

If you went smaller in rolling diamater, your car would be traveling slower at indicated speed than stock, faster if you went larger in rolling diameter

And there's this wheeltrack rule thingee from RTA's website? It's on Page #2. Would that make the 225/45 a bad idea?

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf

This is related to offset, so keep close to the factory offset and you wont have issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Instead of creating a new thread, might as well post in this.

Just wondering regarding sizes. On my skyline that a previously had i had a set Volk Meshies on it but I lent it to my mate for his s13

17x8Front 17x9Rear Offset +37 (stock is 40 according to the pinned thread)

Would these specs be to aggressive for the simple Corolla? :huh: I'm a Jdm boy like some of yous on here and I want the 'flush' look hehe so yes.. eventually throw in some coilovers when I get the spare change as well

thanks