Toyota Link

rui

hi all:

i own an aurion presara for almost 3 years now, i've never had any chance to use toyota link service in the past 3 years since there was no "emergency"....apart from they calling me to replace the backup battery...now toyota is sending me a letter asking me if i wanna extend the subscription for the service and the cost is 240 dollars a year.

i know that the toyota link isn't your average road side assist, it has some extra features like remote door unlock or stolen vehicle tracking etc etc...but for 240 bucks a year, it kinda makes me wonder, is it worth extending the service???

• 5 months later...

I think it's worthwhile. Twice now I have not closed one of the car doors properly. Next morning - first thing - I had a call from Toyota link to advise that the battery charge was low and to take the car for a drive to recharge it. Also, what would happen if you were away from home and lost a handset? Toyota link can unlock and start your car for you, lock the car and keep on doing this until you can get to a dealer or locate your lost handset.

How can they start your car for you, Toyota can only make keys when they have a master to work from, unless they are contracting that side of things out.

Edit: Had a read on their website, there is nothing about them being able to start your car, for this to happen they would have to be able to bypass the immobiliser.

Part of having this on your car does it decrease how much you have to pay for insurance? surely having Toyota Link watching over your car24/7 that will help bring down the cost, if so factor the savings into what it cost you per year.

Edited by (mr2)

I also own a Presara and I think you answered your question in the first sentence, 'i own an aurion presara for almost 3 years now, i've never had any chance to use toyota link service in the past 3 years'

I purchased my used Presara about 18 months ago and didn't bother to continue the Toyota Link service as the cost did not warrant the potential benefits and the chance to use any if it's services.

Remote door unlock: You can't lock a Presara if you have the smartkey in the car. When you press the button to lock it, the car will beep loudly to warn you that your keys are still in the car.

Roadside assistance: If it's just roadside assistance you're after, the RAC equivalent would be cheaper.

Low battery reminder: I can't justify spending $240 for someone to remind me that I battery is running low. I would rather just experience the inconvenience of a dead battery every couple of years and replace it then.

Car tracking: Sounds like a great idea but what are the chances?

As I mentioned earlier, not once have I ever thought I needed Toyota Link but I guess if you wanted extra peace of mind for $240, go for it.

Remote door unlock: You can't lock a Presara if you have the smartkey in the car. When you press the button to lock it, the car will beep loudly to warn you that your keys are still in the car.

People can still lock their keys in the boots of some smart key cars, common when they are putting shopping in the boot or taking it out. I think that it was only the early cars with smart keys that could do this though as the newer ones could pick up the key in the boot.

Edited by (mr2)