Short battery life 2002 Camry

thommo

Got a 2nd hand Camry for our daughter back in December. Battery started playing up (car would not start, then recently the clock kept re-setting to 1:00 every time she turned it off/on). I stuck it on the charger for a few hours (trickle charge) which improved the starting for a short while, but then it went bad again.

Swapped the battery with a spare NRMA one I had today & it started well, clock was behaving . I noticed the old one (a Marshall battery) is only a year old (May 2011 date on it)!

She drives it probably 5-10 times/week, mostly short trips of just a few kms but the odd 20-40km drive every few weeks, so it's not like it sits idle forever.

I looked for glove-box/boot lights not switching off, but the boot light is fine and the entire glove-box light mechanism has been removed (which rang alarm bells - perhaps the batteries had been draining for previous owners and they removed this light thinking it was the cause?)

I notice it has one of those (allegedly entirely useless????) electronic anti-corrosion devices on it. Wondering if that could be the problem?

Otherwise, I guess it's off to the auto-electrician to get alternator checked, or see if there is some other issue.

Any thoughts welcome. Cheers.

my 2200 93 camry had this problem because it was only used for very short drives (less than 10km) , so we fitted a new 630 cca battery and it now works fine with the extra battery capacity.

I checked the alternator charge rate with a multimeter and it is okay.

However with the amount of rain and moisture at the moment , electrical drain on the battery is worse.

I live in the inner city suburbs of Sydney, and only do short drives. During those short drives I may stop and restart the car maybe 2 or 3 times, and driving 10 k's is not going to recharge the battery to full. And if the car is not driven for a couple of days, no problems starting but the radio clock needs resetting. So I disabled the security code, so I don't have to go thorugh that procedure before resetting the clock and pre-set stations.

driving 10 k's is not going to recharge the battery to full.

It is recommended that you drive at least 30mins for the battery to recharge.

• 4 weeks later...

Might have solved this problem by disconnecting the electronic anti-corrosion device. The car seems to be starting better now on that first start of the day.