2008 Kluger minor service - which engine oil to use

mel

Hi guys

my 2008 kluger (60,000 kms) needs a service. Checked with Toyota dealers who quoted 390 dollars for 60k service. Assumed this is a bit pricey for a minor service.

Thought of going to a normal mechanic as long as he does a log book service. Got any ideas on what engine oil is good and any specific filters and what i should be looking out for.

Regards

Hi mel, welcome to the forum, mel I use 10w 30 oil and geniune toyota oil filter, when I get my kluger serviced at toyota they use 10w 30 oil aswell.

Getting you car serviced at other mechanics is ok, if out of warranty, some service centres do warranty log book services, there the ones I would be using, I cant quiet remember how much a 60000kms toyota services are for the kluger, I think theres a price chart on one of the treads on how much a 80000kms service is, what I would look when servicing is make sure the mechanic has exsperience servicing klugers and uses quality parts , preferby geniune parts and filters and good quality oil, apart from that you should be right.

Thanks Croco for the details. I had checked out with Toyota and the cost quoted was around $400 which i assumed was too much just for a minor 60k server. Ultra tune had quoted around $230 for the same. They had quoted log book service. I noticed that Toyota uses Valvoline semi synthetic while Ultra tune uses Castro Magnatec semi syn oil.

Personally, i feel Penrite is a better oil than all these. But surprisingly, none of them use Penrite. Probably, this should be due to the higher cost of the oil

Buy your own engine oil and the workshop that does the service should easily be able to use that instead of their own oil, provided its the same or a better oil

Thanks Viper. Any suggestions on which oil is good to use. Also i would like some advise on whether synthetic or semi synthetic is better as well.

Buy your own engine oil and the workshop that does the service should easily be able to use that instead of their own oil, provided its the same or a better oil

Yeah I have done it on many occasions, you can buy the genuine oil and filter at your toyota dealer, personally the genuine oil isnt too bad price wise, to change the filter make sure the mechanic has the proper filter tool to undo the oil filter.

Thanks Croco. shall do that. it didn't strike in my mind of purchasing the oil and filters from the Toyota dealers.

Thanks for pointing it out.

I dunno how much toyota charges for oil but realistically on a car like a kluger any oil with the same viscosity(ie 10w30, 10w40) and same type(synthetic, semi-synthetic etc) will roughly be the same oil

By that I mean if you buy synthetic 10w40 from toyota and buy synthetic 10w40 from castrol it really won't make that much difference, provided its the right type and viscosity

So again i dunno what toyota charges but if its a lot more than a similar oil off the shelf of repco or something it might not be worth the extra money

Also I don't own a kluger so im not sure what viscosity people use in it, but generally anything the owners manual recommends is good enough, brand is more of a preference thing with each owner

As for oil filters, id recommend to pay a little more and buy genuine

I cant quiet remember how much toyota charges for there oil now , because I havent bought oil of them for a few years now, but it wasnt all that much more exspensive, I use 10w 30, which I think is a semi synthetic oil, I buy mine in 20 litre drum, because my other car uses that grade of oil aswell, I use castrol gx3 10w30, which is around $120 a 20 litre drum, but you can get at any automotive place in 5litre containers, but you will need more than 5litres as I think the kluger needs around 6 litres of oil for a oil change, but if you buy 2 you will only have to buy one for the next service.

Vipers right buy geniune filters and you cant go wrong, there not much dearer.

If you have any doughts go to a automotive supplier they will look up the best type of oil for the kluger, but I havent had any problems with the 10w30 castrol , I have used it now for the last three toyota v6s and had no problems.

Thanks guys. I checked up with toyota at Coburg in Melbourne with regards to oil and filter and was surprised to get quoted 75 dollars for 5 litres oil plus filter.

I think it is pricey because of the "Toyota" brand. I also saw this sale in Ebay for 55 dollars but with delivery to melb, it would be pretty much the same.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Toyota-VVT-i-Petrol-Engine-Oil-and-Filter-Service-Kit-Hiace-Hilux-Kluger-/180738567472?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a14dbad30#ht_927wt_952.

Hi mel, the filter that was on ebay is the wrong type,its for the first generation klugers, our kluger uses a paper cartridge type, which you will need a special filter wrench to undo the filter housing, I think there filters worth about $23 the last time I bought one, only other way is price the oil and filter at automotive supplier and then you can compair the prices, personally I would still stick with geniune filters,but the oil should be okay if you dont buy geniune, as long it is the same grade you will be fine.

hi mel

Are you still searching for kluger (2GR-FE engine) oil filter? I got 8 here with me. product number 04152-YZZA1. I know it is different number than that of 0415231090. But i did some research and even started posting a question in this site

"0415231090 vs 04152-YZZA1 oil filter 2GR-FE"

personally I already used 2 of them with no problem. They are exactly the same dimensions with the one came with yours factory default (2GR-FE engine only). I just think that 20-25$ or even 30$ price of each filter is too pricey considering it is just a paper filament. They are genuine of course. I can sell off some of them at a better price.