Rear control arm bushes

ianstaley

Hi all Ian is the name, and I have a MCV20R 3.0 V6 Camry and I have a BIG problem.

On the left hand side looking from the rear, the control arm on the front of the rear brake/wheel hub (looking from the wheel into the car), the bush on the left or forward arm at the wheel end is shot. It forms a sort of cheap version of a a wishbone. See picture.

Mr.T. in all his wisdom doesn't do a replacement bush you have to swap out the complete arm. The problem with this is that the inner bushes are held together by a ruddy great bolt, about 8 inches long, and the dumb as* designer has put it in so that the only way to remove said bolt is to drop the exhaust and the petrol tank. I know I could just cut the bolt head, withdraw it from other side and just refit the right way round, but over here that bolt costs 48 pounds a piece. there are 4 of them , two inside and two outside. Luckily the outside one is the one that has gone titsup, so if I could find another bush that would fit then my problem is solved.

So now I am the proud owner of a set of poly trailing arm bushes, oh and a set of poly control arm bushes from a 97 they don't fit either. It seems that the bushes on my Camry are unique as no one has made a set for my year 96. 95 and 97-2000 but none for the 96. the bushes are 43 mm long by 26 mm OD. the steel tube is also 43 mm long and 14 mm inside diameter and 19 mm OD.

can anyone suggest a solution, or has anyone actually done this other than replace a rod for £150.00 each. Oh the back rod is adjustable and costs a cool £180.00

Any help appreciated.

post-30467-0-46807900-1350903139_thumb.j

Hi Ian,

Looking at Toyodiy website ( http://www.toyodiy.com/ ) the control arm is serviced as an assembly. So you will not find bushes from a Toyota source.

The Lexus ES300 has the same suspension and parts are interchangeable according to parts cross reference. So you may be able find a Lexus in a breakers yard.

The other option is measure up the ID the end of the control arm to ascertain the bush dimensions and have a look here:http://www.nolathane.com.au/index1.php

You may well find something that fits or can be altered to fit by a minor trim with a hacksaw or a drill.. Last ditch is buy a larger bush and have it turned down by a machine shop to fit what you have.

You also need to remember anything you find used will be similar condition to what you have unless the vehicle is in exceptional condition. So you need to decide if you would bother with used parts at all.

Best of luck and let us know how you go.

cheers

Robert

edit - sorry for banging on, I didn't read you post fully initially .

Nolathane do list the bushes you need just use the car lookup.

Edited by robmac1

Thanks for the info Robert, at least one Australian is savy, I knew that as a Mr.T. part it is the whole arm. And I have tried to get a used one just so I can get the old bush out and try to find an alternative. I do have a Mini Lathe here and I have considered getting some poly bushes and turning them down. (last resort).

But first I am off on me hols, (getting to winter here and today had a little snow on the ground so need a bit of sun). So I will deal with it after the hols. So if I don't speak again for a while, Have a nice warm Chrissy and a sweltering new year. (in a good way of course). Ian

Thanks for the info Robert, at least one Australian is savy, I knew that as a Mr.T. part it is the whole arm. And I have tried to get a used one just so I can get the old bush out and try to find an alternative. I do have a Mini Lathe here and I have considered getting some poly bushes and turning them down. (last resort).

But first I am off on me hols, (getting to winter here and today had a little snow on the ground so need a bit of sun). So I will deal with it after the hols. So if I don't speak again for a while, Have a nice warm Chrissy and a sweltering new year. (in a good way of course). Ian

Hi Ian,

You could join up (for free) and place a post with your request on here: http://www.teoc.ws/

It's lot closer than Australia and I'd think someone would know the ins and outs of getting bushes.

Even if it's not strictly Estima business!

You could ever ring " Buffalo Bob" (RCM Vehicle Repairs) who is a forum sponsor local number for you 07931 547438

cheers

Rob

Edited by robmac1