DIY Welcome Lights Tutorial

Xenophon

Hi all,

i'm rather new to the forum as you can tell from my post count.

I drive a 350z on the weekends and amazingly the Aurion's interior panels are so much easier to work with... Disassembly is done in a jiffy!

Thought i did break the ice by doing a tutorial.

Anyway here i go,

I got these out of curiosity and decided to install it on my recently purchased daily driver, a 2007 Aurion.

http://www.ebay.com/...c958438&vxp=mtr

Your typical passenger door, if you know how to remove the trim you can skip the first few steps.

IMG_0938-1.jpg

Remove the clips and screws holding the door together as well as the side mirror interior covers.

When removing trim panels do it with progressive strength, don't yank them the clips may break. Think of it as pulling weights in the gym, do it SLOWLY.... and the clips will give in.

First Step,

Side mirror cover. Two clips holding it on.

IMG_0953.jpg

Second Step,

Use a screw driver to press the centre of the clip in, it should pop out easily.

IMG_0940-1.jpg

Third Step,

Door handle panel removal, There are two screws on the top and bottom of the handle, remove them. tip: wrap your screwdriver in tape to prevent scratching your trim.

IMG_0943.jpg

Fourth step,

Using the same screw driver, take out the trim behind the door handle. There is a screw behind this panel, unscrew it.

IMG_0942.jpg

Almost there.....

Your door should now look something like this, do take out the side mirror interior trim which is still on in this picture.

IMG_0944.jpg

Fifth Step,

YANK IT OUT. I mean, Gingerly YANK IT OUT!

Start from the edge closer to the interior of the car and wedge your hands in there and pull towards you slowly, give it a slight rocking motion to aid the clips in loosening themselves. When the right hand side is done, move along the door to the bottom (Shown in picture) and do likewise, all the way around to the left.

IMG_0951.jpg

Once done, grab the whole door whilst standing up and LIFT the door panel off (Forgot to mention, roll down your window first) There are clips that are holding the door panel to the top of the door panel. The panel should come off easily, if not, check if all clips and screws are out first.

Sixth Step,

You should see this, all the wires are still connected. Disconnect them, the door handle should come off easily and be handing loosely along the bare door.

IMG_0955.jpg

Your bare door, good time to replace speakers if you wish.

IMG_0957.jpg

Could even find a little treasure! haha...

IMG_0949.jpg

Back of your door panel should look like this,

IMG_0959.jpg

Step Seven,

Bottom of your door, choose a point that will furthest away from your car BUT still lies parallel to the ground when your car is on a level surface.

Reason being,

1. Further away it is the lesser chance of the hologram being ''cut off'' when your door is open.

2. The mini projector is hidden deeper inside the cubby hole and therefore not seen.

3. Like a real projector, this prevents your image/hologram from being skewed.

I picked the spot next to the door courtesy light. (Take note, the device used to project the hologram onto the ground will eat into the cubby hole in the door panel, this is for both the driver and passenger side door panels)

Mark the point, measure the middle of the door sill on the underside of the door panel, 6cm from the edge of the courtesy light worked fine for me. Masking tape used so you dont have to draw on your beloved trim as well as saving it from ''slip ups'' from your drill bit.

IMG_0964.jpg

Step Eight,

DRILL!!!

IMG_0966.jpg

Step 9,

Drill Again! Drill a small hole (Where the screwdriver is pointing to) for the wires to be pulled through into the back of the door panel.

IMG_0974.jpg

Step 10,

Put everything in position.

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

Step 11,

Lightly screw the mini projector down, tap/tape the wires to your door lights,

RED = Positive

Orange = Negative

I just taped them because i didnt want the current courtesy lights to be used, my new projectors will be the new courtesy lights. I do recommend soldering and heat shrinking them. But i did not as i wanted it to be an easy reversal if i needed to change the car back to stock.

IMG_0979.jpg

Step 12,

Check alignment by loosely hanging the door to the window sill where the clips usually clip onto.

It's up to you however which way you want the logo to be positioned. I aligned mine perpendicular to the car's body.

Step 13,

Neaten wires and assemble everything back! Just go in reverse order of how you disassembled your door!

Now, Sit back, turn off the lights and Enjoy!!!

IMG_0985.jpg

P.s. Rear doors are done the same way except they have no mirror covers and there is a gap in between the cubby hole and the courtesy light so the mini projector does not eat into the cubby hole on the interior.

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial guys, feel free to ask questions.

Cheers,

Fred

Edited by Xenophon

Welcome mate,

The lights not my cuppa i gotta admit...

But great tutorial for those that need to know how to remove their door trims!

maybe in the boot? could look cool the logo when you open the boot lid.

nice.....pretty sweet. welcome to the forum xenophon.

you can show off your aurion under "member's rides". we love to see your ride and ur mods ^_^

Sure thing! Cheers!

Welcome mate,

The lights not my cuppa i gotta admit...

maybe in the boot? could look cool the logo when you open the boot lid.

Yes, i did some measurements and the boot lid maybe quite a squeeze to get one to project an image parallel to the boot floor. Just wish that they had an Aurion logo instead of a generic Toyota.

Edited by Xenophon

• 2 weeks later...

Amen! Was wondering how to get the door trims off to change the bulbs on them.

Thanks heaps, very informative tutorial Xenophon! My door trims will be coming off tomorrow! :P