How do I hook up factory reverse camera to aftermarket head unit?

Knealle

I know this question has been asked before, but reading through all the posts I can find I can't find an answer.

I have a 2010 Aurion ZR6 Sportivo. I have purchased an aftermarket GPS/DVD etc touchscreen head unit that was supposed to be plug and play. I hooked it up and started to check everything worked, but immediately found the reverse camera doesn't. I have put the original head unit back in until I am sure how the reverse camera is connected.

The OEM head unit has three input sockets, one being 20 pin where the camera wires are (according to other posts here). Below are pictures I have copied from other posts that show the connection.

post-31179-0-25984900-1356494152_thumb.jpost-31179-0-84105000-1356494199_thumb.j

The back of the head unit has a yellow lead with a female RCA, labelled "Back Sight In", and an orange lead labelled "Rear View Camera". I am assuming the four leads in the original socket need to be somehow attached to these leads, but as to where each lead goes I have no idea.

Can anybody help?

Good luck LOL took me awhile to get it right! All I can say you need to buy a RCA connector for video plug on the head unit then find the two wires for the camera hook it up

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, thanks Shadow_ for the reply.

After weeks of research I came up with three options:-

1) Hook up reverse camera that came free with the new head unit. This was a no go as it didn't fit in the existing hole, and would have had to have been mounted separately. I don't want to have two cameras (one that works, the other not) on the back of my car.

2) Found a reverse camera that is NTSC/PAL and made to fit my Aurion on Ebay. Got that through, but it is not a secure fit in the existing hole, and I don't want to have to keep putting it back in when it falls out. So that was a waste of $25.00!!

3) Try rewiring factory camera and hope that head unit is NTSC. Bought a 12V - 6V reducer off ebay ($5.00) to solve the problem of the voltage. However, the plug and wires that go to the head unit are different to the one I have pictured above. So I guessed the wiring and hooked it up. And guess what??? NOTHING, plus lost my bluetooth! Tried several different ways, but to no avail.

Decided to put the original Toyota head unit back in. Everything works now. Had only got the new head unit so I could control my iphone ipod from the head unit with the artists / tracks displayed. Will just have to go back to using the phone itself to choose tracks, and use my plug in GPS if I need to use one.

The new head unit was advertised as being plug and play. I consider it to be a $500.00 waste of money.

Hi Neil,

I have connected my factory reverse camera (6Volts) to Sony http://www.sony.com.au/product/xav-701bt. Also I successfully connected steering wheel control (purchased in AutoPro) and installed new fascia (also from AutoPro) to match the double din slot. My car is Prodigy 2010 with factory Toyota reverse enabled unit. If you are still planning to install your unit I can try to help you.

Cheers

Adem

• 1 month later...