Steering shake

mbruce

Hi all,

About 6-8 weeks ago I get a new set of tires, Michelin pilot sport 3 (235/40/18) which is what I had on it before also. There was a shake in the steering when I picked it up, so I took it back and got them to balance them again, they did, but also they found one the wheels was bent a little, so I ordered a new wheel.

When the wheel came I took the car to another place, and got a second alignment, balance and swapped the tire off the bent wheel onto the new rim, still shook. So took it back again and balanced them again to no avail.

The shake is really only felt on smooth roads at high speed, which is what a lot of my driving is. I also took the 17” wheels off my parents Aurion Sportivo, and put them on my car, and it didn’t shake at all, also put my wheels on the Aurion, and dint shake as badly, but it did slightly at a certain speed.

I should point out that with the last set of Michelin's I had, had the car balanced a few times before it was shake free, it would last about 10.000 kms, and it would start to shake again, so balance and alignment and it was all good again.

So I am rather puzzled as to what it could be, and how to prove it. I am thinking it could be the tires, but would seem unlikely being quality ones. Maybe I have some worn parts (But it dint shake like this before) or the people working on it are doing a **** job???

Any ideas?

Mitchell

The wheels I'm guessing are after markets.

Do you have hub centric rings?

Usually after markets have a different bore size and require rings to fit snugly on the hub