Hesitation when changing gears KXR Fwd

Rumz

Hi guys,

I'm still in the break in stage of my new kluger and have just hit 800kms..

Since owning the vehicle I have found the car hesitates when changing gears in a low rev range.

This 'hesitation' occurs in low gears, say from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd gear.

It just feels like a flat spot and the car does not smoothly engage in the next gear, it feels like a flat spot in the revs before it changes gear.

I find this happens a lot when turning/exiting out of a roundabout in a lower gear..

It is really getting on my nerves as I think a new car shouldn't be doing this.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it normal? or a defect?

Your help in this matter will be much appreciated.

thanks

Hi rumz, mine does the same thing when turning the corner or just accelerating lightly,to its like the gear box doesnt seem to know to hold a gear or change down, there seems to be a flat spot then it makes up its mind.

I have been told that these gear box have a memory on the way you drive and have to learn how you drive,to a point I probadly agree , most of the time I only drive gentle back and forwards to work, so the gearbox thinks thats the way I drive, but when I am away I open her up and driving in the big city I accelerate pretty hard, after that the gearbox seems to shift better, but not perfect though

I wish the shift quality was as good as the ZF auto transmission thats in our territory.

The next service on mine iam going to ask the service advisor and see what can be done to fix the problem.

Funny that you say that about the ford, I was going to say my other car a ford falcon ba with 300,000km shifts a lot better.

Everyone that has jumped in my kluger even non mechanical minded people like my wife has asked why the car is doing that when changing gears..

Car is goiing in for it's first service this Wednesday and it will definetely be something I bring up.

Edited by Rumz

I wouldnt mind knowing how you get on when you bring up the problem when you get your kluger serviced, I think its a toyota thing, I remember reading the same problem with guys having similar issues on prado point with the prado autos doing the same thing, I think they got the ecu reflashed or somthing and it improved the shift quality, I sort of remember my old prado doing the same as what the kluger is doing.

When accelerating up to 100 or overtaking the engine and gearbox are great the gears shift quickly and smoothly and offer strong performance, only when driving slowly around town , turning or accelerating gently around a corner,that the gearbox is indecisive.

Dropped the car at service today and told them about the hesitation problem..

When I picked it up they said the problem did not occur with them, but they did howerver reset the computer and I should see how that goes.

First corner out of the dealership and there she goes again, slight hesitation and problem still there exactly as I dropped it off.

This is not normal behaviour of a brand new vehicle, and the problem is getting worse and occuring more often.

Anyone on here from a Toyota dealership that can help out with this problem, is there a solution???

Hi all, I haven't noticed anything of the such in my Kluger but I will take it for a spin and see if I notice anything now that I am aware of this fault and let you all know.