2012 SR5 SatNav - Your maps are probably old.

High Lux

Sorry if this is common knowledge. I did a search but I didn't find anything related.

I got a brand new SR5 TD in July last year. It came with the built in satnav and this unit's maps are on a memory card. My street wasn't on the maps but I've lived there for nearly three years. I called Toyota HO and they told me the maps were 2010 maps supplied by Fujitsu ( I think) and that an update was coming to bring them to 2012. The new map card is out but it's about $300 if you want the upgrade. I made a fuss. The maps are old and even the latest update isn't 2013 maps, they're 2012. You're expected to pay for an update this year that brings your maps in line with the actual year of the ute.The disc based satnavs are more up to date by comparison though.

My dealership exchanged cards for free but only because I was onto the whole thing pretty early on and said within a month or two of getting the ute I absolutely wouldn't pay for the first update but expected it to be addressed .

My street is now on my maps and I can set a real HOME destination.

Edited by High Lux

• 3 weeks later...

Maps are 2012 Q1.

But the car is plated as manufactured Dec 2012 / first registered Feb 2013 by me - NEW CAR.

My point is that a new car >$55K should not be lumped with a map that is as good as 12 months old. I raised this with them from DAY ONE.... Dealer is claiming that they can not do much and that TOYOTA holds all the cards...

In the process of dealing with the Dealer and Warranty claim, to see if I can get updated maps. One map (no updates and is $300 from Toyota) is a joke if one looks at all the other systems around...

I only want a map update not the whole Car Navigation system upgraded...

The standard map in the 2012 Hilux is Navteq, yet the Toyota web pages suggest the map provider is WhereIS. But I think it depends on which model / year the car is.

Would be happy to pay a reasonable fee, but $320 plus for one update is crap. On another car forum they have also hinted that Toyota only release a new map every 18 months to 2 years...

Now if your in a small place and only travel on occasion... May be OK.

When you in a major city or need to travel through one, then with tunnels and major changes every other months, 18 months is a laugh.

Best option is to not get a Toyota with a Sat Nav system and to but one for a quality car sound place. That way it will work as you expect and you can get map updates at a reasonable rate and as required.

Hilux SR5 = Never again... SR with option pack and then addons via non Toyota supplier = functional work vehicle.

• 7 months later...