Need 18r carby help please! Not idling/running properly...

starski

G'day :D Starski here!

Bought my new 1981 Hilux over the summer, and has been running great, please check out the picture attached.

Anyhow... now it doesn't idle properly after running for a while, it's fine at start up but then won't accelerate properly and conks out at idle when I'm stopped at the lights.

I've tried adjusting the float level, timing, idle and idle mixture, and blocking off vacuum hoses for all the emissions rubbish, but all to no avail! My dad reckons a vaccuum leak somewhere but I can't find it...

Just yesterday it start running even worse, now when I apply partial throttle it craps out, I have to rev it heaps just to get it going, but it stalls itself constantly, and it back fires when it's running constantly.

Any help or suggestions appreciated, it's a Nikki carb if thats of any help

Starski

post-32669-0-46988900-1368433136_thumb.j

Grab a can of start ya ba*tard and spray selectively over the intake / carby / hoses/ lines etc if it revs up or dies out you most likely have a leak

But it does sounds like a timing or ignition issue if it is back firing and running like a dog.... check your leads, plugs, dizzy cap and points then make 100% that the timing is right....

ignition-system-points.gif

Make sure that between point B it is a flat connection... after time they tend to have a raised surface on one side and a valley on the other making the ignition connection intermittent and off timing... Also make sure the gap is correct (Repair manual) using feeler gauges and adjusting C...... I hope I am explaining it porperly haha

Take the top off the carby pull the idle jet out,blow it out * DO NOT CLEAN IT OUT WITH A PIECE OF WIRE* any money it,ll run better than ever ,all for the sake of a couple of gaskets,while your at it put a carby kit thru it,or do like my cousin did and put a 2bbl weber off a 2 litre cortina (only problem with that nowa days you never see them in wrecking yards no more)

NOTE* Some of these carbys had a very fine gauze mesh filter in the inlet on the carby where the fuel hose attaches too and they block up as the little gauze filter is that fine all the sh*t just builds up

Edited by CONROD