Some help for a Kluger newbie please

Try hard

Hi all

First I have to confess I have originally been looking at Ford Territories because of price of the vehicle and the Diesel engine option. But then a mechanic mate said check out a Kluger, Japanese built Toyota beats Aussie built Ford any day.

So, i found a 2012 KX-S AWD with 10,000 km for around $40k, which I recognised was a really good deal. But, I took it for a drive and the pops and rattles were nearly unbearable. It sounded like the dash clips, and also somewhere from under the driver seat and maybe 2nd row seat too. The seller had the radio turned up real loud, and I could still hear the noises, so when I turned it down, we were accompanied by a chorus of clicks and snaps :).

The seller said it had been side swiped so both passenger side doors had been replaced (at least he was honest, at least if that's all that happened, and it was a pretty good repair, the panels and doors all seemed to line up fine). I was wondering if it had a larger share of rattles due to accident.

The fit and finish of the Kluger was streets ahead of Territory, so my sums are $40k for a second hand petrol kluger or $45k for a brand new diesel Territory in the mid spec TS (the titanium is too expensive and ford version of luxury is rubbish compared to Toyota). But those noises worry me and I was wondering if there's any chance I'll be able to find the source and fix the noises (or better still if toyota warranty has ever been found to cover rattles).

I loved everything else about the Kluger. I was also extremely surprised how well the Territory drove, I didn't expect that of a Ford. I didn't expect to be looking at the 2 brands as a comparison. At this stage I think I'd be happier for the first 6 months in the ford with a new car smell and very quiet drive, but that I'd much rather see a Kluger in my driveway for the next 3 years, but just dread hearing those noises every drive.

I guess I just need someone to talk me into or out of one or the other!

Thanks for allowing a tyre kicker to get those thoughts off his chest :)

Cheers

I suggest you test drive another Kluger to compare and establish if the issues were related to the range or the particular car you drove.

As it had been sideswiped, personally, I would walk away, you never know the real extent of the damage.

Thanks mate, was gonna head down the local Toyota stealer this weekend. Hope I don't get talked into a $50k car, although chances are high :)

Welcome Carl

Your description of the fault with the used Kluger is something I would just walk away from, however the price is good so I can only recommend that you get the RACQ to do a thorough Vehicle Inspection Report before considering it further.

The Klugers are great cars even after the new car smell has gone. I still look forward to driving mine everyday. The Territory handles better but the resale suffers badly in comparison to the toyota so take that into consideration in choosing between the two. Unless you intend to go off road the 2wd versions are fine and the cost is much closer to your budget

Hi carl,welcome to the forum, Im pretty much going to tell you what the other forum members have said, I love my kluger to bits and would buy another one in a heartbeat, it has been one of the most practicle cars I have owned,the 3.5v6 is quiet economical for a 2 ton car and performance is excellent, theres plenty of space and is a joy to drive,I like other members said ,I look forward to driving it.

My kluger has pretty reliable,the only problem I have had is the intermediate shaft been replaced , due to a clunk when turning,another thing to look out for when buying a used kluger,but should be fixed under warranty.

The rattle you could hear is most likely to be coming from the dashboard, its the clips seem to be the problem, if you test drive another kluger do it in the morning ,when its cold, thats seems to be when it rattles ,mine has got the dash rattle ,but I have learned to live with it, but if the next kluger you test drive has the rattle ,you should be able to get it fixed under warranty and get the clips replaced, thats all off the top of my head I can think of that could be a problem with the kluger.

Now the territory, I also own a territory too,our has been great in the last 5 years of ownership, there hasnt been really anything major thats needed attention,the only thing would be the ball joints, but thats after 5 years and a 125000kms later ,so Im pretty happy with that , there has been the minor things like the master power window switch failing and one of the transpoder playing up ,but thats about it ,so in my oppinion the territory has been a great car.

the territory is a great drive, driving the territory is like putting on your favorite tracksuite and ug boots ,everything feels nice and comfortable, the handling and the ride is great on ours,it sticks and handles the road brilantly , the kluger handles not to bad,I find it predictable and safe for a big tall car, but not quiet as good as the territory, comfort and ride is about the same, aswell as space, the territory has a better back seat ,which can fit three across the back better,but the removable middle seat ,with the centre tray is good for access to the rear third row seats,its down to the indivigle if they like that Idea or not, they both are great as family cars and have a lot of clever little features.

picking beetween the two is like picking beetween my children, I love them both, but the kluger is better built and has slightly better performance and better fuel economy,the territory has diesel option and has a bit better handling, I would take both for a test drive and see what you like best , when test driving the territory ,drive both diesel and petrol and give the 2wd of both condideration, as david said you can get some good deals on both entry level model with 2wd, my kluger is only 2wd and I find the traction pretty good, especialy having 201KW, some people say that you break traction easy and you get torque steer, but if drive sensibly, the 2wd offers great traction.

To compare the two from other owners have a look on PRODUCT REVIEW . COM . AU, that should give you some idea what owners thoughts of both cars.

Thanks guys for all the feedback, and croco as owner of both my target vehicles :). Great advice, got some more test drives lined up tomorrow!

Thanks again guys for the advice. The second hand Kluger KX-S AWD has been dropping in price on carsales - down to $39,500 with <9,000 km, the guy offered he'd take $38,000 cash, which seemed too good to be true. It was of course, I checked the VIN by just googling it, and it showed up on Manheim Auctions as a past repairable write off, with airbags deployed, left front damage, left side damage, right front damage. And the guy stood there and told me with a straight face it had a minor sideswipe repaired under insurance that he had paperwork for. I guess I can't picture lying to someone's face like that, so human nature still surprises me from time to time.

At least in the process I have really fallen in love with the KX-S Kluger features ... now trying to justify the full sticker price, or thereabouts :) Haven't been able to get a Toyota salesperson to give me any attention on Saturdays, but I did drive another Territory, which I still really like.

Thanks again for your patience and bearing with the story so far :)

Thanks again guys for the advice. The second hand Kluger KX-S AWD has been dropping in price on carsales - down to $39,500 with <9,000 km, the guy offered he'd take $38,000 cash, which seemed too good to be true. It was of course, I checked the VIN by just googling it, and it showed up on Manheim Auctions as a past repairable write off, with airbags deployed, left front damage, left side damage, right front damage. And the guy stood there and told me with a straight face it had a minor sideswipe repaired under insurance that he had paperwork for. I guess I can't picture lying to someone's face like that, so human nature still surprises me from time to time.

At least in the process I have really fallen in love with the KX-S Kluger features ... now trying to justify the full sticker price, or thereabouts :) Haven't been able to get a Toyota salesperson to give me any attention on Saturdays, but I did drive another Territory, which I still really like.

Thanks again for your patience and bearing with the story so far :)

Perhaps the rattles were those empty airbag housings! I am sure when you test drive a good kluger you will love it.

Hi all

First I have to confess I have originally been looking at Ford Territories because of price of the vehicle and the Diesel engine option. But then a mechanic mate said check out a Kluger, Japanese built Toyota beats Aussie built Ford any day.

So, i found a 2012 KX-S AWD with 10,000 km for around $40k, which I recognised was a really good deal. But, I took it for a drive and the pops and rattles were nearly unbearable. It sounded like the dash clips, and also somewhere from under the driver seat and maybe 2nd row seat too. The seller had the radio turned up real loud, and I could still hear the noises, so when I turned it down, we were accompanied by a chorus of clicks and snaps :).

The seller said it had been side swiped so both passenger side doors had been replaced (at least he was honest, at least if that's all that happened, and it was a pretty good repair, the panels and doors all seemed to line up fine). I was wondering if it had a larger share of rattles due to accident.

The fit and finish of the Kluger was streets ahead of Territory, so my sums are $40k for a second hand petrol kluger or $45k for a brand new diesel Territory in the mid spec TS (the titanium is too expensive and ford version of luxury is rubbish compared to Toyota). But those noises worry me and I was wondering if there's any chance I'll be able to find the source and fix the noises (or better still if toyota warranty has ever been found to cover rattles).

I loved everything else about the Kluger. I was also extremely surprised how well the Territory drove, I didn't expect that of a Ford. I didn't expect to be looking at the 2 brands as a comparison. At this stage I think I'd be happier for the first 6 months in the ford with a new car smell and very quiet drive, but that I'd much rather see a Kluger in my driveway for the next 3 years, but just dread hearing those noises every drive.

I guess I just need someone to talk me into or out of one or the other!

Thanks for allowing a tyre kicker to get those thoughts off his chest :)

Cheers

Hi

Mate I Have a KX-S AWD just clicked over the 100,000km without a rattle or knock and still drives like new.. I wouldnt buy a crashed one, there are plenty on carsales.com.au and they are keen to sell, offer them 5k under their asking price and someone will need to sell.

Cheers Ray