HID kit for 2012/2013 Camry Hybrid HL

Schu

Hi Everyone

Has anyone fitted or tried to put the HID kit for 2012/2013 Camry Hybrid HL?

I bought Philips HID conversion kit on ebay which includes the bulb and the ballast and I brought it into my local car mechanic to fit it in. However, he told me that from 2012 Camry Hybrid H or HL model, Toyota changed the bottom of the bulb design and because of this, he can't fit it. He also said the this design change has only occurred in Hybrid model.

I would like to know if anyone has installed the HID into the current Camry Hybrid model.

Hey Mate,

Do you have a picture of your hybrid headlights and maybe the picture of what you're talking about?

What size bulb is it? I have installed HIDs on 2012/2013 camry's before and have had no issues, but then again they weren't hybrids so not sure if it is different.

Cheers

Thank you for your reply. The bulb type is H7 for low beam. The bulb base is totally different from others. I attached the photos. This bulb base has two small metal parts attached which secure the base to the headlight. Turn the bulb base counterclockwise and remove the bulb base from the headlight.

Because of this, I won't be able to secure the bulb. I hope my explanation and photos make sense...

post-33413-0-27362700-1375264657_thumb.j

post-33413-0-05960200-1375264725_thumb.j

All makes sense - basically from the pictures you uploaded, its the same installation for the hybrid as it is for all the other GEN7 (2012-13) camry's - just wanted to make sure its all the same, don't want to be giving you the wrong advise :)

The clips do not need to be secured to the bottom as shown in the pictures (but your bulb will still be secure). You will need to put the new HID bulb into the same position as the old bulb was and run the two wires through the clip so that they're not in the way when you twist the bulb back in.

From there once you twist the bulb back in, connect the two bulb wires to the ballast, and the ballast to the black base in the picture (which you unclipped previously from the base) - test the HID, if it doesn't work, simply just swap the wires around but make sure you turn you headlights OFF first!

I have the exact same bulb, base and clips in my 2007 Camry :)

Thank you so much for your advice. I greatly appreciate it I didn’t know I could separate the clip and the black base. Is it easy and simple to remove the clip from the black base?

Yeah - all you have to do is unclip it on both sides and off it goes :)

You maybe have some trouble because the bulb is in there, but nothing some strength can't solve

I still have a problem.... I took the clip off from the black base and I tried to get through the HID bulb wires. As you can see my attached photos, the clip wasn't big enough to put through the wires,,,

I do wonder my Camry Hybrid 12/13 model is same as your bulb. Is this still same as yours??

I took my car to Toyota dealer workshop yesterday and asked the mechanic to look my bulb. They told me that it is different from the previous model and it's not possible to put the HID as the base wouldn't fit.

I really appreciate your advise.

Thank you

post-33413-0-64312400-1375596604_thumb.j

post-33413-0-01238400-1375596640_thumb.j

post-33413-0-17131900-1375596682_thumb.j

post-33413-0-28813100-1375596730_thumb.j

This is where all the fun begins mate, you have 2 options.

A. You see the back connector ends? You can actually take those off, which means you can fit it through the base/holder.

B. You can cut the rubber piece holding the 4 wires together, and just slot bulb wires through without pulling the connectors off. But what you will need to do is trim each side of the connectors for it to fit through the base.

From there, you will have some trouble trying to put the clip back in, but I'm 100% sure everyone with H7 HID bulbs had this problem, as the normal bulb's base is really thin, and the HID ones aren't.

Can you also show me the connector heads that are meant to go into the black base from the HID kit that you got?

They should look something like the below ones. With the 2 pins at the end.

35w%20hid%20kit-r.jpg

It seems much harder than I originally thought!! I took my HID kit photo. Let me know if I need to take more photos or any close up photo.

post-33413-0-86599000-1375787612_thumb.j

post-33413-0-25819700-1375787641_thumb.j

post-33413-0-46607900-1375787668_thumb.j

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

New memeber here, I am interested in putting HID in my new Hybrid as well. it is a 2013 build. I was wondering if there is any update on this? on what kit I should buy?

Thanks

You can certainly put it on as I could successfully installed it at the end. You can buy any H7 HID kits but you also have to buy the base adapter. I bought PHILIPS H7 6000K Xenon 35W HID conversion kit. What you also have to buy is 2x H7 Xenon HID Bulb Base Adapter Holder. I found them on eBay and it was only around $5 or $6 from Hong Kong. These adapter holders will secure your HID bulbs and you won't need to cut or trim anything on your existing cables etc.

For the installation , I asked my local mechanic as I wasn't conformable to do this myself. You can even ask your local Toyota car service factory as my local Toyota service factory offered me to do so (of course you need to pay the labor cost).

At my local mechanic place, they had to remove the whole front bumper to install these HID kits. Because of the layout (battery) in Hybrid model, there wasn't enough space for the mechanic to carry out the installation. I also installed LED day light. If you are planning to do this, I recommend you should do all in once as they had to remove the front bumper. You will save the time and the money.

Good luck!

post-33413-0-81994400-1395828076_thumb.j

Hi there, thanks for that.

I think i will go for the 4300k ones, as i am looking more for extra distance then blue light.

I can't seem to find the camry base adapters on ebay. do you have a link to the one you brought or the seller?

Cheers

• 10 months later...

Thank you for your reply. The bulb type is H7 for low beam. The bulb base is totally different from others. I attached the photos. This bulb base has two small metal parts attached which secure the base to the headlight. Turn the bulb base counterclockwise and remove the bulb base from the headlight.

Because of this, I won't be able to secure the bulb. I hope my explanation and photos make sense...

Hi,

Im just new here. Im exhausted in chasing up this black base connector for my H7s. I have the exact thing in this picture. The one I have recently melted. I've tried several local stores and nothing is available. do you have any other way I can get them? Or atleast an alternative? Thank you in advance.

Hi there.. I don't think any local auto parts stores sell "Bulb Base Adapter Holder" as these are after market parts.. The adapter holders which I bought from eBay are still OK and it's been over a year and half.
I'm also intersted to know if there is an alternative way to secure the bulb.

Hi thanks a lot for your reply. just to be clear, it was the black base where the wirings and pin of the bulb that melted. The steel braces is fine, but the wiring melted in that black base itself. so i had to cut the wiring to disconnect.

Are you able to send me the link where you bought in ebay please? I went to toyata service centre and they recommend replace the entire headlight assembly which i beg to disagree. it was my only left low beam light that has the problem, the rest are okay.

much appreciated. Thanks.