Front Strut Replacement - Upper Insulator / Boot

OziDrifter

G'day Guys,

I'm in the process of replacing my front struts with "Monroe GT Gas Struts". I also purchased "Strut Mate" boot kit and it comes with obviously a new Bumper and Boot. My query is the existing structs boot is integrated with the upper insulator and is in fine condition. So can I simply just use the new Bumper with the existing integrated boot / upper insulator or should I be using the new Dust Boot ?

Oh just another query, the Bumper on the existing struts was large end to the upper and smaller end to the lower, however the Strut Mate instructions shows the Bumper to be installed the other way round. Does this matter ?

Cheers

Mark

Edited by OziDrifter

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Guys,

I'm in the process of replacing my front struts with "Monroe GT Gas Struts". I also purchased "Strut Mate" boot kit and it comes with obviously a new Bumper and Boot. My query is the existing structs boot is integrated with the upper insulator and is in fine condition. So can I simply just use the new Bumper with the existing integrated boot / upper insulator or should I be using the new Dust Boot ?

Oh just another query, the Bumper on the existing struts was large end to the upper and smaller end to the lower, however the Strut Mate instructions shows the Bumper to be installed the other way round. Does this matter ?

Cheers

Mark

The dust boot is easy to replace once everything is off the car and the top mount is disconnected from the strut which will be happening anyway to put the spring in the new strut, so you may as well change the boot seeing as you have new ones. It wouldn't matter if you used the new bump-stop with the existing boot as they aren't really related to each other.

From memory on my struts the bump-stop has the fat bit at the top.

Edited by rad000