Pre puchase report

Lplates

Hi

Looking at buying a 99 Dual Cab 3.0l Diesel. I had an inspection done on the vehicle today and there's a couple of things on there that I'm not sure how major they are.

• Leak at rocker cover seal and front of motor + sump area - Degrease and check.
  • Transfer case front pinion seal leaking
  • R/H lower ball joint and R/H tie rod end stuffed

There was some other cosmetic issues as well but these were the major items.

My question is, how major are these things? Worst case scenario how $ approx would I be up for to fix these up?

Thanks any help or opinions.

All drive train seals are important Oil leaks/weeps attract unroadworthy stickers, and the costs of getting them neutralized. Also, a leaking powertrain is eventually going to get critically too low of oil, with the associated destruction. Oil leaking onto the road is dangerous to other road users, partic motorcyclists. Rear main seals have a life of abt 250000km, then need replacing. The job is typically 4 hrs+ work to replace a $25- seal. Whilst you're at it, it may pay to replace the clutch and ALWAYS replace the clutch release bearing EVERY time you open the bellhousing-It's a $40 part that needs 4+hrs labour to replace it if it fails, + any other damages. Transfer case seal- replace-it's cheaper than a transfer case rebuild. Steering parts are normal wear and tear, passenger side fails first, always. If RHS, the left has already failed and been fixed, prob abt a yr ago. If LHS, right will happen too, prob abt a yr or so. Test ALL steering/suspension parts so nothing is missed. Lubricate often if possible. Replace all damaged rubbers. Do wheel alignment & adjust steering box after repair and balance the wheels. NB If CV joints: Watch mechanic test them, make sure his hands are empty-they do use screwdrivers etc. to destroy your rubber boots to create work, so WATCH THEM, or learn to DIY.

Since you're obviously inexperienced I'll advise Strongly that you replace, fairly soon, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing outlet, coolant, cam belt, ALL coolant hoses and clips, airfilter, fuel filters, oil filter and all oils that aren't visibly new. Be prepared to replace battery, and EVERY 14 yrs from manufacture, replace clutch and brake master and slave cylinders, recon brake calipers. Doing these will set your vehicle to known good status, with routine servicing done and it shouldn't fail without warning due to faulty parts. From here on you can keep a log book or journal for the car and keep on top of the maintenance, so that you can avoid breakdowns-they're almost always expensive. NB If other people drive the thing, MAKE SURE they fill it with the correct fuel!!!!!!!!!! IE Petrol into a diesel costs >$1000 to fix, and it damaged in <2 min.