broken remote on wife's 2006 Corolla

Hi All,

I'm hoping to get some advise on my wife's single button remote locking fob.

I've tried a couple of known good batterys but no go.

I tried to find the sensor on the rear fender wells but it's not on either.

I hate to take it to a shop but it's looking like it's past my abilitys.

Any advise welcome.

Thanks, Mack

Yarraville Vic

Is this on the 96 Camry?

The remotes are coded into the CIR which is behind the glove compartment, The receiver for the remotes is also located here.

A new remote is around $80. Aren't these glued together?? it's not worth the hassle in trying to get an old one working as the battery will be soldered in.

Does the remote have the Toyota logo on it? my records show that this should be a 2 button remote key not a separate remote, that's why I though it was the camry ( Even though the thread title says otherwise)

Does the remote have the Toyota logo on it? my records show that this should be a 2 button remote key not a separate remote, that's why I though it was the camry ( Even though the thread title says otherwise)

Thanks mr2, Here's what it looks like:

Corollafob2_zpsd4a353e4.jpg

Corollafob1_zpsa4ed58a4.jpg

The case pops apart so the battery can be changed. All the Toyota fobs are two button so I'm a little confused.

Thanks, Mack

New remote is for these is still the $80 mark. They are an aftermarket factory fitted system which a few different car makers use, but Toyota do sell the remotes.

Sit in the car with the drivers door open, lock and unlock with the existing remote

insert the key in the ignition and turn from OFF to ON 20 times in 12 seconds finishing in the OFF, indicators should flash 20 times ( If they don't turn On and OFF a couple more times).

Once the hazards have stopped flashing press the button on your remote (hazards flash once) then the next remote ( Hazards flash once). Turn ignition On and OFF to finish

+++ If the remote is not working before the first step you have to remove the negative terminal for 30 seconds, connect it and then start the procedure. +++++

New remote is for these is still the $80 mark. They are an aftermarket factory fitted system which a few different car makers use, but Toyota do sell the remotes.

Sit in the car with the drivers door open, lock and unlock with the existing remote

insert the key in the ignition and turn from OFF to ON 20 times in 12 seconds finishing in the OFF, indicators should flash 20 times ( If they don't turn On and OFF a couple more times).

Once the hazards have stopped flashing press the button on your remote (hazards flash once) then the next remote ( Hazards flash once). Turn ignition On and OFF to finish

+++ If the remote is not working before the first step you have to remove the negative terminal for 30 seconds, connect it and then start the procedure. +++++

Thanks mr2, I dis- and re-connected the battery and switched the key on and off 20 times but the hazard lights never flashed. I tried a couple of times disconnecting the battery each go.

BTW, we only have one fob.

I hate to take it to a dealer. Anymore suggestions?

Thanks, Mack

Cheers, Mack

Give it a go with going up to 30 times, as soon as the indicators start, stop on OFF.

This is the exact same way the dealer will be doing it too :)

No joy, dis- re-connected the battery, with the driver's door open, switched the key on and off a bilizon times but no hazard lights.

Where is the receiver? Maybe it's got a loos connection.

Thanks, Mack

No idea where the receiver is as I haven't had to remove one before. Most likely it will be on the drivers side of the dash up above the peddles.

Regardless of the fob working or not you still need to be able to get it into programming mode, so there is either something going on with the car, or your doing it wrong :) :)

Is there a fuse for the remote locking?

When you are doing the 20 times on and off have you tried with a couple of different speeds?

How long are you taking between reconnecting the battery and trying the on and off?

It is possible that your car also has a key inserting switch in the ignition, it's the thing that makes the car go BEEP BEEP when you leave your key in the ignition. If it has and has been disconnected then it will need to be reconnected for it to work.

after disconnecting the battery I turned on the headlights to drain the system. I think I waited 30 seconds.

I'll check the fuse..... wouldn't that be funny if it were blown, heh.

The car beep beep beeps when the key is in.

I'll give it another go tomorrow, thanks for your advise!

Cheers, Mack

Still no luck. I've ordered a new fob from ebay. Perhaps it will have different instructions. BTW, the dome light comes on with the door open as does the door ajar light on the dash so I think the fuses are ok.

One thing, now the car idles too slow and is ruff. I wonder if I've reset the EFI somehow.

Cheers, Mack

Success!!

New fob arrived today.

As soon as I reconnected the battery my wife did the 20 on-offs. It took a couple of tries but eventually the hazards flashed a bunch of times, she clicked the new fob and did on-off twice to put the remote out of program mode.

My wife is happy, thank you.

Mack

Good work. Toyota's can be a bit stupid with timing..

Now that you have a working remote you don't have to do the battery thing, just lock and unlock the car then do the 20 on and off..