Regular high voltage spike

Heronamide

My Troopie (2000 4.5L EFI) has developed a problem. A high voltage spike seems to be generated at regular intervals of about 100 s. It manifests itself in the windscreen wipers activating once and a momentary cut-out of power to the console (needles on ODO and revs dip then return to normal and on several occasions the trip Odo's have zeroed consistent with battery disconnection). I have an electronic "fusible link" which may be reacting to the spike. I only know its a high voltage spike as my UHF radio has an alarm for high voltage and occasionally has come up with the message "High DC" when it happens. This spike is very regular at about 100 s and follows an audible click (not sure from where) by about 32 s. These observation were at a constant speed of about 100 km/h and 2000 revs. Unfortunatley it doesn't generally happen at idle although has done occasionally. We are on an outback trip and seemingly the performance of the vehicle isn't affected, as we have had no choice but to drive hundreds of kilometres with this happening. On several occasions the problem resolved during the journey. Have to sort this out prior to continuing on our big trip, so are stuck in Darwin. Can anyone shed light on this before I tackle an auto-electrician or Toyota workshop.

Edited by Heronamide