6x9 Installation in '94 widebody

senor_borracho

I want to install some 6x9 on the rear shelf. Although this car did not come with rear speakers there is a resess for some 6x9's when looking underneath the shelf. Can anyone tell me if wires are already run for the speakers. The smaller of two two plugs from the stock head unit are for back speakers and run down into the dash but I cant find where they go. Does anyone know if these are hidden on the back shelf somewhere or in the boot? Or do I need to run wires all the way from the head unit?

I want to install some 6x9 on the rear shelf. Although this car did not come with rear speakers there is a resess for some 6x9's when looking underneath the shelf. Can anyone tell me if wires are already run for the speakers. The smaller of two two plugs from the stock head unit are for back speakers and run down into the dash but I cant find where they go. Does anyone know if these are hidden on the back shelf somewhere or in the boot? Or do I need to run wires all the way from the head unit?

id seriously consider not installing 6.9's on the standard headunit.

my car came with the wires soldered onto the speaker terminals, no plugs.

if youre after a budget audio upgrade, a new $150 headunit and $100 (even less if you buy a combo at autobarn etc) front 2-way speakers will provide at least 3 times more volume and much better sq.

if thats still not enough then an amp it is.

fyi i run a $200amp (Blaupunkt GTA450), $80 front speakers (DLS B series), $80 6x9's (DLS B series) and a $80 sub (Clarion PA12S). a bloody loud stereo doesnt have to be expensive =)

and if youre wondering also, it all runs off the one amp because this thing is 2 Ohm stable, which lets me run both pairs of right/left speakers in parallel, leaving 2 channels bridged for the sub =)

id reccomend mounting rear speakers to the wooden shelf, not into the metal anyway, unless you plan on sealing it off. the air leak will sound worse then the soft wood shelf which can easily be padded up.